Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

any patients out there with ankylosing spondylitis?

Posted by lak on 2/16/05 at 21:42 (169205)

i've been battling AS (a type of athritis that affects the spine, eyes and heels of the feet) for 22 years now..

besides pain in my spine and hips, the pain in my feet is constant and extremely uncomfortable to do even a little walking. podiatrist says it's due to the AS. although it's not good, i have cortisone shots in my heels almost every two months or i can't even function at work (i have a sitting job).

frankly, i've had enough of the pain. i asked if there was something else that could help me and he suggested fasciotomy.

if you have AS and had the fasciotomy, did it help you? are you at least 75% pain free?

thanks for listening.

LAK

Re: any patients out there with ankylosing spondylitis?

Mike C on 2/17/05 at 05:44 (169238)

Depending on your ankle range of motion you may benefit from a lengthening of you gastrocnemius tendon or Achilles tendon. If there is a difference in you ankle motion with you knee bent vs. straight then the gastrocnemius muscle may be a problem. In Addition, sitting a good bit of the time allows the gastroc to tighten and then standing will tension it and if the plantar fascia is irritated you get the old 'ice pick'. Either of these procdures will serve to increase your ankle range of motion provided you ankle is in satifactory condition.
Do you have xrays or CT scan?