Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

screw this!

Posted by elliott on 2/16/05 at 22:25 (169214)

I just had my stitches taken out today following a reconstructive foot surgery of sorts I had two weeks ago. Still can't weightbear for at least another 4 weeks, but the doc sent me for x-rays to make sure the hardware was still in place. OK, so I have a small plate and screws sitting over my first metatarsal; no big deal. But I have a very fat screw in my heel that's like 4 inches long!!! It looks so big it's hard to believe it fits and can stay in there without my being in agony. It starts at the tip of the heel and comes diagonally up. It looks like it's meant more for a two-by-four. Wild! I might request a copy of those x-rays for my records (read: to show off to my friends and co-workers :-)).

elliott

{}

Re: screw this!

Dr. Z on 2/16/05 at 23:52 (169223)

Elliott,

Who did your foot surgery. Are the T Owens of heelspurs.com I still am amazed that you have the guts to do this . It major foot surgery. I never realized you were in so much pain.

Dorothy on 2/17/05 at 01:01 (169225)

Hope all goes well, Elliott. That sounds like a pretty alarming sight, that x-ray. May you look back in a year and say: good!

Julie on 2/17/05 at 01:27 (169227)

That's real screwy, Elliott ;) I wish you could post your x-rays here so that we could all see them.

Seriously, it does sound impressive, and as though it means business, and I hope it's exactly what your foot has been looking for all these years.

Mike C on 2/17/05 at 05:37 (169237)

What was the original problem?
Sounds like you had a calcaneal osteotomy and medial column stabilization.
Did you have a cavus foot or more of a flatfoot. With cavus, at heelstrike your foot rolls toward the little toe side you tend to bear more weight on that side and develop pain. You can also have peroneal tendon problems. The converse is true with a flatfoot (pes planus)deformity. The weight bearing axis shifts towards the inside and stresses the tendons and ligaments on that side.
6.5mm screws (big honkers) are a very common way to fix a calcaneal osteotomy or subtalar fusion. These screws can generate a great deal of compression which stimulates healing.

elliott on 2/17/05 at 17:58 (169276)

Sorry, Dr. Z, but I'm not saying the doc's name. I learned the hard way not to reveal doctors' names on these boards after someone quoted my alleged views about a doctor, given in strict confidence, in a post here for all to see.

Actually, more accurate is that I'm the Grant Hill of heelspurs. He too had the screw in the sawed-off heel. He also made it back to the NBA, and is now playing at a high level, which is encouraging to me.

Yes, its major foot surgery, but it was after 5 years of that foot being unstable, buckling in extreme pain numerous times throughout the day, that I had the guts to do it. Yes, I was in a lot of pain and couldn't accept that this was forever. It took a very long time and numerous docs across many states to get the diagnosis, and then even longer before I was comfortable with the procedures to be done. No two docs ever came up with exactly the same surgical recommendation, but what was done made sense to me. Hope this thing works.

elliott on 2/17/05 at 17:59 (169277)

Can x-rays be scanned onto the Net?

{}

elliott on 2/17/05 at 18:01 (169278)

Mike C, it was flatfoot, but without obvious posterior tibial tendon dysfunction. I now have a nice, beautiful, sexy arch! (And also 4 more ugly incision marks. :-))

{}

Mike C on 2/17/05 at 19:13 (169280)

Were you having pain?

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/18/05 at 00:54 (169301)

Ellliott:
Digital camera often take excellent pictures of x-rays. You must have adequate trans-ilumination (just use your docs view box). Load the digital images and post away...
Ed

elliott on 2/18/05 at 09:24 (169321)

Thanks, Dr. Ed! I'll have to wait till the next appt, see if I can get the x-rays, and give it a try.

elliott

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/18/05 at 11:31 (169343)

Elliott:
I ran into this little know fact by accident a few years back just using an 'el-cheapo' camera. My guess is with the nice stuff out now, you should be able to get some very nice copies.

PS. You will see x-rays going digital over the next 5 years or so: that way they all will be avaialble as digital images (telemedicine, computerized medical records is driving that trend).
Ed

Dave R on 2/18/05 at 11:41 (169345)

One of my coworkers fell off of a ladder and broke both of his heels. He has 11 screws in one heel and 4 in the other. That is a cool looking xray.
He was in a wheel chair for almost one year. Right now he is pain free

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/23/05 at 16:15 (169721)

PS
Try to have the backlight on just behind the film but keep the backlight next to the film off. Most cameras are automatic and the light meter built in will sense the light coming from the other light and darken the film...
Ed