Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Seeing xrays on CD - Amazing!

Posted by Kathy G on 2/18/05 at 09:42 (169325)

As I previously mentioned, I picked up a copy of my cervical xrays for my Rheumy who just blew me off. In his defense, maybe I didn't stress how painful my neck and clavicle have become, although I thought I had. At any rate, all I knew, according to my PCP, was that I had the neck of eighty year old and probably would need surgery down the line sometime. To my way of thinking, down the line sometime IS when I'm eighty!

Yesterday, I picked up a second copy to show to my chiropractor. He needs to see them to ascertain whether he feels comfortable working on me anymore.

Naturally, I popped the CD into my computer and voila! there was my neck in all its glory. Absolutely amazing! I could view the radiologists report: Moderately severe deterioration between C2-C3, C3-C4, C4-C5. No stenosis (that's good). Significant osteophtyes or maybe it was several - I'll have to look at it again. That's essentially a heel spur on your cervical vertebrae. I have hopes that my Chiro will sit down and explain it to me because I need someone to explain exactly what I'm looking at. It's just extraordinary - you can zoom in and out. Just another facet of technology that is mind boggling.

I think the time has come for me to get a second opinion on my OA but I am putting it off. I'm living in denial because I know that the only thing they can offer me, unless by some miracle this new FDA study doesn't pull Celebrex, twice a day off the market, is the suggestion that I take a DMARD, the class of drug that people take for RA. My Rheumy already mentioned that and I refused. And it'll continue to be a hard sell because the side effects of those are horrendous and I'd rather live with the pain.

I sure wish I could find a board like this for people with OA. There's tons of them for people with RA but none for OA. OA usually isn't this debilitating but I happen to have it badly in more joints than the average patient so very few people post on the Arthritis boards I've found. And let's face it, OA is a walk in the park compared to RA.

You know what really kills me? Both my PCP and Rheumy think my condition has worsened because I went off Vioxx. Up until then, it was reasonably in check. And if I were going to have a stroke or heart attack with Vioxx, I think it would have happened in the seven or eight years I took it on a daily basis, so why shouldn't I still be able to take Vioxx? Okay - on and on I ramble. I'm sorry.

But the subject line remains. Technology never ceases to amaze and delight me!

Re: Seeing xrays on CD - Amazing!

C. Hall on 2/18/05 at 10:43 (169340)

There is an arthritis message board, both on WebMD (just go there and you'll find the arthritis area) and this one:
http://www.arthritisinsight.com/forum/

I have arthritis definitively in my shoulders, some degeneration in my neck which will hurt sometimes and crunch. Also just started having PT for my PF. Also have bad knees, but that's a different story.
Hope this helps.

Caroline H. on 2/18/05 at 10:49 (169341)

I forgot to add that when my doctors gave me my MRI pictures of my knees and shoulders, my husband was very excited about having them:) Then again, I have a picture from my knee surgery of the interior of my knee framed and on the wall in my family room.

Julie on 2/18/05 at 11:25 (169342)

Caroline when I had arthroscopy to clear a torn piece of my medial meniscus, the surgeon presented the piece to me in a little bottle (I had told him I was eager to see what the animal looked like). I kept it for about a year, until it dissolved.

CarolineH on 2/18/05 at 11:33 (169344)

Yikes--I didn't ask for that both times I had the surgery! But I was presented with my wisdom teeth when they were removed.

Diana I on 2/18/05 at 12:55 (169351)

I have a friend who has OA in the lower back. He wasn't taking Vioxx, but is taking pain medication, Tramadol, and occasionally Vicodin, when pain gets really bad. I know that OA isn't debilitating, but sure is painful.

I had a neck infusion done about 3 years ago. Sure wish I could have see the Xrays on a CD. How cool is that! I'm like you, technology is amazing.
D

Dorothy on 2/18/05 at 13:17 (169355)

Kathy G - would a board for people with OA be something that YOU might start?

Suzanne D. on 2/18/05 at 18:26 (169377)

That is neat, Kathy! You're right: technology is unceasingly amazing.

I wish you could take Vioxx. I'm sorry that your pain is worse without it.

Take care,
Suzanne :)

Kathy G on 2/19/05 at 09:11 (169406)

Thanks, all. Yesterday was one of the most painful days I've ever had. I think I know what caused it and it was my own fault. I went for a walk. Now my walks aren't long - so far, twenty minutes is my limit or I pay for it the next day. But it's a brisk walk and uphill (not both ways!) which I figure is good for my cardio system.

Well, DUH!, I knew it was only twenty-nine and windy but I figured, I'm not bothered much by cold, I'll be fine. Wrong! I nearly froze to death dispite having proper clothing. When I came home, I put on the radio and found out that the windchill factor was in the single digits. What a dope!

From the rest of the day, my neck and shoulders hurt so bad, I couldn't believe it! I think I probably hunched my shoulders up and just tensed all the muscles. I finally started to feel human around 10PM after muscle relaxants, painkillers, a heating pad and much controlled stretching. I feel much better today.

I also hadn't taken any meds except the Vioxx prior to the walk. I have to learn to do as I say which is to accept that I have to take muscle relaxants for the time being until this all calms down. I just wanted to prove I was super woman. I found out I'm not! :D

CarolineH on 2/19/05 at 10:06 (169412)

I love Thermacare heat wraps. I get a lot of referred pain from my shoulder arthritis at the top of my ribs and find sticking a Thermacare wrap there when I go to bed makes the ache sort of melt away. I get the neck/shoulder ones to do that. I sometimes wish there were ones for feet!
I take Celebrex for my arthritis (200 MG) and am glad it will be staying on the market too. TYlenol just doesn't work well enough. I also have a low platelet count so I really have to watch what medicines I put in my body (hematologist okayed the Celebrex), especially anything anti-inflammatory.