Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Kathy - on Vioxx

Posted by wendyn on 2/19/05 at 07:59 (169400)

Kathy, you were talking about how Vioxx was realling helping you...thought you should see this:

Re: This is such wonderful news for me!

Kathy G on 2/19/05 at 09:04 (169403)

Thanks, Wendy. Yes, I saw it on the news last night and I'm thrilled. I have some leftover Vioxx that I didn't send back for a rebate and I actually started taking it the day I went to the Rheumy. I figured if it hadn't caused any problems in all the time I was on it, 25mg a day for a month wasn't going to do anything except maybe make me feel better.

Interesting that they said that Celebrex 200mg is safe but at four times that dose, it isn't. I assume there must have been doctors prescribing it in that amount but it wouldn't be any of the ones I know. I was started on one a day back when they pulled Vioxx but then put on two a day when the one didn't work. Then the report came out on Celebrex and I had to go back to one a day.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Personally, I think the FDA will black box Celebrex. I don't know what they'll do with Bextra, which my doctors wouldn't go near long before the Vioxx warnings came out. As for Vioxx, it think it depends on Merck. Their stock is up a little but they took a huge financial hit when they withdrew it. I think the FDA will require the company that manufactures the drug or one just like it, to test it far more extensively and then release it with a black box. I don't know if Merck has the capital.

It all comes down to risk vs. benefit. For me, Vioxx was controlling my OA. It didn't prevent it; it just controlled it. The benefits far outweighed the risks.

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/19/05 at 11:03 (169426)

There is a lot of confusion in this area. Classical anti-inflammatories are Cox-1 and Cox-2 inhibitors. What makes the newer drugs unique is that they are SELECTIVE cox-2 inhibitors, that is suppress only Cox-2 ,leaving cox-1 alone while the older stuff (Motin, Ibuprofen) suppresses both Cox enzymes indiscriminately. So the research villifying the suppression of cox-2 is not completlely logical since we have been suppressing cox-2 all along with the older drugs, although non-specifically.

wendyn on 2/19/05 at 21:50 (169470)

I'm glad that you were happy with the news Kathy. I'm not good with drugs myself, but I think that like you said - it all comes down to risks versus benefits.

I heard not that long ago that thalidomide (sp?) is effective for treating leprosy, but because of all of the bad press around the birth defects, it's very difficult to use it as treatment where it's needed.

I hope that they will bring back drugs like Vioxx - perhaps with stronger warnings and more careful monitoring, for people who really benefit from them.

john h on 2/20/05 at 10:14 (169494)

Actually they are free to sell Vioxx anytime Wendy as the FDA never banned it. The manufacturer pulled it. They are now considering putting it back on the shelf with warning label so one can weigh the benefits vs the rewards.