Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Julie

Posted by Marre on 2/19/05 at 20:14 (169464)

hi Julie,

you gave me good advice before and I was hoping to be able to bother you again. Like you said, I was trying to do too much, so I scaled back and am mostly walking, though I have been able to run 1 mile 3 x a week without any increased pain. I find I can hike all day (I did a major hike in the mtns today of over 6 hours) and no pain, but it seems that running just doesn't like my feet. Like I said, I can run about a mile at this point. If I go farther, in about 8 hours I will feel pain when I press on the arch (but not while walking). Sometimes, though, my foot kind of aches with an arthritis type pain.

I have an appt with my doctor in two weeks, and I know everyone's experience is different, but is this what you experienced regarding walking vs. running? Thanks so much--Marre

Re: Julie

Julie on 2/20/05 at 02:50 (169485)

I haven't much experience of running, Marre, so can't answer your question from personal experience. The first (and last) time I tried running, around 25 years ago, I loved it, but it gave me a sore back, so I stopped after a few months. I'm generally not in favour of high-impact exercise because of the inevitable damage to the joints, especially the knees, but also the hips and lower back. In the case of the feet, the heel strike is so much harder in running than it is in walking, that it is almost bound to exacerbate a weakness if there is one - which there is, in your case.

Having said that, we've had a number of people here who have been able to resume running, and I hope you will be able to too one day. From what you say, though, it's too soon. Can you content yourself with hiking and await your complete healing?

Marre on 2/20/05 at 17:41 (169511)

Thanks Julie. I'm actually the most hopeful I have been in six months. I can certainly hike for awhile longer since I enjoy it (at least until the bears come out of hibernation!)

Julie on 2/21/05 at 02:43 (169537)

It's wonderful that you can hike now Marre. Where do you do it? Where are these bears of which you speak?

Keep hopeful, and enjoy the hiking.

Marre on 2/22/05 at 20:23 (169658)

I live on an island in Alaska where the bears are big! Most of the trails are pretty steep too, but it seems to help stretch the calves as I walk. It is nice to hike, and I'm convinced I will be able to run more too, only probably I will stay away from marathons from now on.

Julie on 2/23/05 at 02:02 (169678)

Wow, Marre! I envy you (I think). And I hope you will be able to run more.

Cheers to the bears when they emerge.