Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Insertional Achilles Tendonitis

Posted by Susan T. on 2/19/05 at 21:35 (169468)

I've had pain for 10 years now and tried every conservative measure suggested. I was ready to have surgery and saw a doctor in dallas. he suggested eswt, even though it isn't commonly used for my pain. I have blue cross insurance and they won't pay, which is fine if I know that there is a possibility of it working. If not, then I will opt for surgery. I am 36 years old and have an active family. I am so sick of the pain that i'm ready to do what it takes. any information on eswt and insertional achilles tendonitis? thank you!

Re: Insertional Achilles Tendonitis

Dr. Z on 2/19/05 at 22:08 (169472)

Hi
I have used ESWT for insertional achilles tendinosis for the past five years. I believe I was the first to use ESWT in the USA for this specific tendon pathology. I find it very effective. Surgery is no comparison and has a very long post healing time frame with a cast having to be used for eight weeks plus depending on the procedure.
There are many different protocols for this procedure and it is important to know the experience of your doctor. Just because he has used this for plantar fasciitis it is important to ask how long, how many and exactly the specific machine with specific energy protocol. Do you have this information ?

Rob M on 2/20/05 at 20:26 (169520)

Dear Susan

We treat this very frequently with ESWT. However it is less common than heelspur treatment, so make sure that you pick a therapist that has done it before.
Rob
PainFree ESWT

John M on 2/28/05 at 23:39 (170187)

I had this procedure done by Dr. Z after having a miserable surgery to clear it up on the other ankle. I would say for me personally that it would be a good treatment if I hadn't wanted to run again. I had very little pain after the procedure and thought was on my way to a full recovery. No morning stiffness, etc. Unfortunately the first time i went out to jog again everything kicked right back up. I had a debrisment surgery in october and am just to the recovery stage of jogging lightly. I knew what I was in for with surgery (extremely painful surgery) but also knew what the outcome would likely be (no pain in first ankle after roughly 1-1.5 years with lots of running after about 7-8 months). Personal decision, but as I saw it, it was worth a shot to try ESWT in hopes it might work for me. I possibly just unlucky

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/01/05 at 09:24 (170198)

Hi John M

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Would e-mail to give me your last name. I would like to review your file. (email removed)

Thanks

Dr. Z