Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Info on knee crutch for post surgery use

Posted by Marsha H on 2/20/05 at 19:58 (169516)

Seem to remember some discussion re knee crutches which some found a very useful post-op aid to mobility, and more comfortable than crutches. A member of my family is having a ruptured Achilles tendon repaired surgically tomorrow and facing 3 months in a cast. Does anyone know of a web site offering where we could find such? Google gave scant results. Also any advice relative to the use of such a device would be great. Thanks!

Re: Info on knee crutch for post surgery use

Darlene on 2/20/05 at 20:51 (169521)

I remember that the Rolleraid got great reviews. Try to google it.

Pat on 2/20/05 at 21:26 (169526)

I used a Roll-A-bout after my surgery which worked well except you couldn't really turn it and physically had to pull up on the front to go around corners and stuff. I've seen the pictures of the Rolleraid and I think it's better. You can do a google search or you can call your local medical supply store and ask about renting it (sometimes insurance covers it in lieu of crutches but in my opinion you need both and my insurance didn't cover it). I rented one for $55 a month and it was great. I was able to 'roll' into the bathroom (I live by myself) and balance my knee and wash my face or get something out of the refrigerator whichout putting my foot down. I really think it helped me to heal faster and feel more 'normal'

elliott on 2/20/05 at 23:47 (169533)

I am currently using the roll-a-bout. I'm 3 weeks post-op (no weightbearing at all for at least another 4 weeks) and really like it; see the thread I started recently:

bbt.cgi?n=168615

There is another one called rolleraid. If you use that one, please let us know how you like it. I can't be sure which is better. I sort of got the impression that rollabout does not use the caster wheels like the rival company's due to potential lawsuits. I would speculate that caster wheels are easier to turn with, but would have the tendency to cause the device to drift away from you and cause you to fall. You have to lift up the rollabout a bit to make turns; for sharp turns, you basically stop and lift up, stop and lift up until turned (do not try to do it too fast or you could tip over). For gentler turns, a very slight liftup, with one finger even, will enable the turn. It's also no doubt faster on straightaways and mild turns. I went to a park today to get some fresh air and did a one-mile loop in about 15 minutes with that thing, including a few stops for rest. Amazing. I've started work-at-home part-time, but with the rollabout, I am considering returning to work since I can scoot about with ease. It has a brake and parking brake too. It fits like a charm since it is set to your height, inseam, and right/left foot.

LARA on 2/21/05 at 10:07 (169555)

There's a also a crutch invented by a farmer in Canada that is a long stick that attaches to your thigh with a place for your knee to rest. It's not as smooth as regular crutches for walking, but it does allow you to use your hands, and doesn't require much muscle. For a farmer, he wanted he hands free. I'll see if I can find it.

Re: iwalkfree crutches

LARA on 2/21/05 at 10:09 (169557)

As soon as I finished the last post I remember the name of the crutches. Here's the URL
http://www.healthchecksystems.com/i_walk_free.htm

John H on 2/21/05 at 10:33 (169558)

When I had foot surgery some years ago on my foot I used the standard aluminum crutches. I found an attachment for these crutches that were basically shock absorbers. They were easy to attach and had some very strong springs which reduced the load on your wrist by around 50%. Very effective. I think the cost was around $50 for a pair. My Orthopedic Surgeon was very impressed with them and asked where to get them as he was going to recommend them to his patients.

elliott on 2/21/05 at 11:58 (169572)

LARA, I wonder if that walkfree device digs into the thigh and hip too much with continued use. Also, looks like you have to buy it and it's kinda pricey--I don't see a rental option.

LARA on 2/21/05 at 23:07 (169611)

I've tried it, and it doesn't dig into my thigh too much. Doesn't dig into the hip at all - doesn't go that high. I don't find it the easiest to use, but I didn't use it that long. I'm imagine you get used to it.

It is kind of pricey. I wonder if there might be some on ebay.

chrisb on 2/23/05 at 10:08 (169697)

I bought one three months ago. I use it for shopping when I have to carry things, and find it very helpful. Since its like a peg-leg, it jars the spine a bit when walking, so I wouldn't want to try to walk half a mile on it. It doesn't dig into my thigh too much either. Going up and down stairss is not as easy as using arm crutches, but on the level its pretty good.
Cost about $300, but if you have a health plan and your doc will prescribe crutches you could be covered
Chris

LARA on 2/23/05 at 11:24 (169703)

That pretty much summarizes my experience with it too.

Tyne A on 5/09/06 at 17:35 (198811)

I think the Rolleraid is quite new - the RollaBout has been around for years. People I have spoken to say the Rolleraid is much better and easier to use. The wheelbase is larger (but not to large to fit through doors) so it is actually safer. I agree it can drift a little on side hills but that is a small price to pay for being able to turn on a dime without lifting.

Kelly d on 5/09/06 at 22:28 (198827)

check out the website... Roll-a-bout.com
I used one after surgery. It was great!

john h on 5/15/06 at 09:11 (199125)

Worked very well for my daughter. You can buy them at Target (web site).

jacquie k on 5/05/07 at 23:15 (229175)

Great info..Thanks. Where did you find it for $300? The lowest price I've found is $365.
thanks