Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Lidoderm patches

Posted by skully on 2/20/05 at 21:14 (169524)

I seem to be having some relief using lidoderm patches. Has anyone else tried these or does anyone have any experience with them? They are 180 a month - ouch, but they do work. My insurance covers 120 of it. I cut them to follow the path of the nerve. I've had several very good days since using them.

Re: Lidoderm patches

Robert B. on 2/20/05 at 22:43 (169532)

The lidoderm patches have provided me much more relief (prescribed by my family physcian) than anything my podiatrist has done, go figure a general partitioner at $50 per visit and a simple prescription for some patch vs shots, therapy, night splints, cam walkers, stretching, exercise, etc.

AllisonL on 2/22/05 at 09:39 (169620)

Didn't do anything for me....I ended up going to the doctor who did the nerve studies for follow-up since all the orthopedic could offer me was surgery. I did the lidoderm patch for 3 weeks and it didn't help. The nerve studies doctor had a special cream/gel compounded for me which has provided some relief.... I'll check the specific mixture when I get home and put it in another message....it's made up of 5 different medicines (i think lidocaine and amitryptyline are 2 of the ingredients). I'll be back with specifics.

skully on 2/23/05 at 23:29 (169759)

Did you find it?

AllisonL on 2/25/05 at 13:55 (169889)

this is the way it's listed on my gel

ACGKL 2/0.22/2/20/2 PLO Gel

and the description is ACGKL
(Amitriptyline, clonidine, gabapentin, ketoprofen, lidocaine)
Pluronic Lecithin Organogel (PLO)

It's helped me some...definitely better than the lidoderm patch. I apply to my ankle/foot area 3 times daily.....
It's not cheap though...the tube which is 60 grams I think was $86.00 but that's cheaper than surgery with less scar tissue! Hope your doctor is willing to prescribe it for you and that it provides some relief.

skully on 2/28/05 at 00:36 (170102)

I'll take this to my doctor - I don't know if my insurance will cover this either, lol but 86 is a lot better than 186. I got to thinking, even with supposedly GOOD (that's a laugh) medical insurance, (BCBS) I am paying like a used car payment a month in medication. That's on top of the 500 a month for the darn insurance. Geez.

AllisonL on 2/28/05 at 08:01 (170120)

They made me pay up front but then the pharmacy submitted it (had to go to a special 'compounding' pharmacy)and I just had to pay a $25 copay- I have BCBS too and CAREMARK's the prescription people. Hope it helps...(I play tennis and my shoulder's been really sore and it seems to be helping that too! My new wonder drug!!)

Dave on 11/21/05 at 09:05 (187872)

hi wots the magic cream,i have BRACHAIL PLEXUS (nerve damage)

Karen on 1/13/06 at 11:02 (191379)

I love them..They do work! But on the exxpensive side.