Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

orthotic problems

Posted by Karen on 2/21/05 at 18:21 (169592)

I got the rigid orthotics back in Oct. for my bunion and flat feet. For one month, they killed me. My Dr. sent them back and had cushion added; another month and they killed me...I went to PT for the achilles...everything from my waist down HURT! My achilles was ok after 9 treatments, now just my feet kill me. IS IT POSSIBLE that some people just cannot wear them? My Dr. said everyone can wear them after a MONTH. NOT ME>...HELP

Re: orthotic problems

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/21/05 at 22:11 (169600)

Karen:
They can be worn IF made correctly. One possibility is that your foot was casted in an overly supinated (turned in) position thereby yielding the uncomfortable orthotic.
Ed

Julie on 2/22/05 at 01:56 (169612)

Orthotics are casted and constructed to correct a biomechanical fault. If they aren't casted or made well, if they over-correct or simply do not address the fault, they will be uncomfortable or painful. I'm not an expert in this, just a lucky individual who has been greatly helped by well-made orthotics. I feel sure that orthotics are a key modality in the treatment of a variety of problems.

So I would suggest that you persevere. Your doctor needs encouragement, to put it gently, to adjust or remake your orthotics and to keep working with you and with them until they do their job. 'Everyone can wear them after a month' may be a true statement if the devices are right, but not if they're not.

Richard, C.Ped on 2/23/05 at 07:49 (169690)

Almost always the first thing I think of when someone describes pain with a foot like yours, is that you might have forefoot varus and the orthosis needs to be posted to relieve this. Forefoot varus means that if you were standing with your foot in a sub talor neutral position, the ball of the big toe would be off the floor. When the orthosis is not properly posted for this, your foot is forced to make its way to the floor when walking, thus causing the arch of the orthosis to dig into your foot.

Have someone check you for this. If they do not know what it is, or how to check for it, find someone who does.