Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Drs Z, Ed and Zuckerman -- PF stretching?

Posted by Buck T. on 2/22/05 at 10:38 (169623)

Could you three please give personal opinion on weight bearing stretches for pf? Do you recommend them for your patients?

Sincerely, Buck T.

Re: Drs Z, Ed and Zuckerman -- PF stretching?

Dorothy on 2/22/05 at 11:45 (169627)

I want to join Buck T.'s question. I would also direct it to Dr. Wander and to Dr. Pearl and to other doctors here. I hope that's ok, Buck.
I happen to think this is an important issue and one that is not well discussed, let alone resolved. Thank you for asking it, Buck.

p.s. Buck, I'm pretty sure that Dr. Z and Dr. Zuckerman are one and the same. To my knowledge, there are Dr. Z (Zuckerman), Dr. Ed Davis, Dr. David Wander, Dr. Ben Pearl here - and I do hope I have not missed anyone; if so, it is completely unintentional and is related only to my poor memory. There have been two others who have visited once or twice or so (the doctor in the Minneapolis area who John in MN introduced here and Dr. Manoli who Pauline introduced here) - and there very well may be others I don't know about or whose names escape me.

Buck T. on 2/22/05 at 11:50 (169628)

Thanks Dorothy. Had the right question but my doctors mixed up some. Glad you added the others. Take care,

Buck T.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/22/05 at 12:30 (169631)

Buck T,

I am both DR. Z and Dr. Zuckerman. I instruct patients to use non-weight bearing stretches. The plantar fascia stretch, personal foot trainer. I do also use the wall achilles stretch at time. I like the thinking of Julia and Mike Wilmott when it comes to non-weight bearing stretching. I have found that patients do very well with the plantar fascia stretch. It helps to reduce the pain and limping when first getting up in the AM

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/23/05 at 16:31 (169724)

Buck:
I think the concensus is: non-weight bearing stretches. The reasoning is that one wants to lengthen the fibers but not cause a tearing or pain. Pain activates a spinal reflex which in turn tightens the area.
Ed

John H on 2/24/05 at 10:50 (169790)

Dr Z, Dr Zuckerman and also 'The Man'.

Buck T. on 2/24/05 at 15:36 (169810)

Thanks Dr. Ed and Dr. Z. Makes sense now.

Sincerely, Buck T.