Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Some Info.

Posted by Dorothy on 2/22/05 at 11:37 (169626)

The April 2005 issue of Yoga Journal has two articles of some possible interest to others here:
First, there is a very short piece that gives information that is new to me on lactic acid. The article is on p. 27 under 'Well Being', by F. P. Ruiz (I'm not wearing glasses and the print is tiny; I think it might say Fernando Paiges Ruiz..sorry :-)...); the article is entitled 'Muscle Memo' and a quote from it reads: 'Far from being a waste product, lactic acid is a valuable fuel that is critical to metabolism,' says exercise physiologist Thomas Fahey, a professor of kinesiology at California State University in Chico......points to research (citations given in article)....proving lactic acid can help forestall muscle fatigue. 'It plays a role in tissue repair,' says Fahey.
(Some of you might find this article of interest.)

Another article that relates to a recent discussion here about the psoas muscles (iliopsoas, hip rotators, hip flexors...): Yoga Journal, April 2005,pp. 117-120 under the regular column 'Anatomy of a Yogi'; the article is 'Spin Doctor' and is by Julie Gudmestad, identified as 'A licensed physical therapist and certified Iyengar Yoga teacher, Julie Gudmestad runs a private physical therapy practice and yoga studio in Portland, Oregon.
This article has illustrations and text and discusses the importance of these muscle groups, as well as giving yoga recommendations and other exercise information for improving the health of these muscles.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late. -Emerson

Re: Some Info.

Julie on 2/22/05 at 16:11 (169651)

Are the articles on line, Dorothy, and if so could you provide a link to them?

Dorothy on 2/22/05 at 16:23 (169654)

The magazine link, as one might imagine, is http://www.yogajournal.com/

As to whether the two articles I mentioned are posted yet, I didn't see them when I did this look-up for you. They might not post the current issue but I really don't know. I didn't know this mag. was online until just now; there's quite a lot of intriguing info. there but I don't have time to look much right now. I did one quick entry into search under 'psoas' (a Liz Koch article came up; can't evaluate its quality now..) and also saw a listing for 'arches of the feet' - will have to go back later!!
Later :-)

Julie on 2/23/05 at 02:11 (169680)

Thank you, Dorothy. (I might have guessed.) I can't see the articles on cursory look, but they'll be there eventually.

I subscribed to Yoga Journal for several years, years ago, but grew tired of the proliferation of advertisements for equipment. But the magazine did always have useful articles. I especially liked Donna Farhi's. She is one of my heroes, and her Breathing Book is one of my bibles. Have you read it, or any of her others? Her most recent is Bringing Yoga to Life and it's marvellous.

Re books: I am still waiting for my copy of The Multifidus Solution to Back Pain to turn up (it is making its way, obviously by slow boat, from somewhere in the States). But I have been finding Sarah Key's Back Sufferer's Bible interesting and useful: do you know it?

Re: Good for me

Julie on 2/23/05 at 02:13 (169681)

I expect kudos for my mastery of the mystery of italics .

Thanks to Carole!

Dorothy on 2/23/05 at 02:59 (169682)

Hi Julie -
It's late here but I'm up and finally have a few peaceful moments before sleep. I agree fully about Yoga Journal and its advertisements, especially its advertisements for its own products - and everyone pictured is so - pretty; it's like a fashion magazine for yoga and that bothers me. It also seems to be responsible for the ?what - commercialization? of yoga? Although, on the other hand, I like yoga books and videos and such - but I'm not a big fan of Rodney Yee and he is one of their primary teachers.
I was not familiar with Donna Farhi until you mentioned her, I think it was last year sometime; based on whatever it was that you said, I looked for her book - and your recommendation has been most appreciated. Your 'voice' reminds me of hers, or vice versa. I will look for the recent book. She's a wonderful teacher, as are you.
I am not familiar with Sarah Key's book but I will look for it, too.
Books! I'm buried in 'em - I can't keep up!
This current issue of YJ also has an illustrated feature on Cobra and the usual cautions are given (re. disc compression in lower back ). It made me wonder something anew: the McKenzie Method (Robin McKenzie) for back pain is based on this pose really and he recommends it for all kinds of back pain and sciatica. I'm finding it harder and harder to deal with conflicting information! Maybe it's age or time restrictions - something is making me very impatient with ambivalence - and yet there it is: life - where all is ambivalence!
Thank you again, Julie, for the leads on books and teachers. Much appreciated. Now to sleep....

oh, one more thing - I remember that when I ordered The Multifidus Solution... from Amazon or Barnes & Noble - it took an unusually long time to arrive. Maybe it's written-on-demand. It should be fresh! :-)

Dorothy on 2/23/05 at 03:01 (169683)

Julie - I don't speak italics!
Ciao ~

Re: Backs

Julie on 2/23/05 at 03:31 (169684)

Dorothy, you've almost certainly fallen asleep by now, but never mind, you'll see this in the morning.

I know a little about the McKenzie method, which I understand is based on the premise that strong extensions (backbends) are the preferred treatment for discogenic (and perhaps other) back pain. I've gathered, from my research and also from talking to my osteopath, that this premise is well on the way to being discredited: few osteos or physios would counsel it now. All the most recent research indicates, as I was saying the other day, that treatment should be based on the isolation and re-training of the deep stabilising muscles, transversus abdominis and multifidus. Multifidus in particular goes quiet, i.e. 'forgets' its stabilising job and degenerates, when there is injury or surgery or pain from any source, and it doesn't recover automatically when the episode is over: it needs to be re-trained. If and when the deep stabilising muscles are working efficiently in synergy, one should, in theory, be able to do almost anything - but that's a big 'if'.

So I don't think it's so much a matter of conflicting information or of ambivalence, but of things moving on. I personally would not now recommend practice of the Cobra for anyone with back pain from any cause until the cause is known and has been addressed with a stabilising programme. Most people do it incorrectly (i.e. without lengthening first) so there is a lot of pressure on the discs at the back of the spine. Where Cobra can be helpful, if done correctly by a properly stabilised and supported spine is in opening the disc spaces at the front of the spine.

In taking responsibility for self-treatment I guess the important thing is that we do our homework and settle on a plan that makes sense to us, rather than cherry-pick this and that from many different sources. (You were saying something similar yesterday or the day before about treating PF, and I agreed with you.) The concept of the stabilising and supporting 'inner unit' (transversus abdominis, multifidus, diaphragm and pelvic floor) makes sense to me now, so that's how I'm working - and I'm omitting extensions for now: much as I've always loved them, I want to be sure that my spine loves them before I re-introduce them. It's a steep learning curve, but an exciting and, I think, productive and helpful one that will help me avoid future upsets and also help me (and my students) in my teaching. If I at almost-70 can learn new tricks and ways, you should have no problem at all. :)

I remember mentioning Donna Farhi last year and am glad you found her, and am honoured by your comparison of our 'voices'. Thank you! And sleep well.

John H on 2/23/05 at 09:47 (169694)

Be advised there are many back and neck problems that cannot under any circumstance be resolved with any stretching program. In fact stretching or exercise can make them worse. One should clearly understand their problem and just what the exercise is supposed to accomplish. For example if you have disc particles floating around in the spinal canal you can exercise forever and nothing good will happen. Fractures of the vertabrae cannot be helped with exericse. There are many others so get a good diagnosis and some good advice. I would think the same applies to the feet. Doing foot exercises with a hairline fracture or a problem with TTS may not be advisable to say the least.

John H on 2/23/05 at 09:56 (169696)

Dorothy do you speak in 'tongues'? One of the great languages.

Re: Exercises that could hurt

Kathy G on 2/23/05 at 11:08 (169699)

We're not going to be home today but tomorrow, I'm putting a call in to my PCP to see which Orthopedic surgeon I should see at the practice I, and he, like. I cannot go on like this and I have hopes that he may have some ideas - not surgery because I don't see how they could do anything that would help me - but perhaps a shot of cortisone. EEK! A shot in my neck!

But the reason for my rant is that I delibertately didn't do the exercises for my neck this morning because I wondered if I was making it worse. I don't think I am because the osteophytes that my neck has produced are the body's way of protecting itself from injury. From what I can gather, the body reacts to the lack of cartilage by producing these boney protrusions in order to prevent one from moving the joint. So, naturally, since mobility of my neck is of major concern to me, I want to continue to move my neck. But it's time for an expert to tell me.

Now, it'll be interesting to see if this comes out in italics!

Julie on 2/23/05 at 11:13 (169700)

That's right up to a point, John, and I would certainly agree as far as conventional stretching programmes, gym work, and a great deal of yoga are concerned. Accurate diagnosis is important: apart from the discs, there are ten different conditions, from unstable facet joints to arthritis and cancer, that can cause back pain. However, whatever the problem, improving one's 'core stability' so that the spine is correctly supported by the deep muscles that are meant to be doing that job but probably aren't doing it, will help and can't harm, even if it does not permanently resolve he problem.

Julie on 2/23/05 at 11:19 (169701)

Kathy, that's wise. But whatever exercise is recommended by the orthopaedic surgeon you see, you still need to trust the messages your neck gives you. While you're waiting, perhaps you should focus on just releasing muscular tension, not thinking so much about 'exercising', but about letting go. Gently, and very slowly allowing the head to roll from side to side is a useful way (lying in semi-supine, on your back with your knees bent). If this is painful, adjust the degree of movement until it isn't, even if your head only moves comfortably a couple of inches. The important thing is the letting go, not the 'doing'. Move to the side on the out breath, return the head to the centre on the in breath.

If it hurts, stop.

Dorothy on 2/23/05 at 15:27 (169716)

You're funny. :-)

I don't speak in tongues, but I love tongue twisters! I collect them, in fact. So, I could speak in tongue twister, I guess....

I am concerned that everyone is going to be speaking in italics here and I'm going to miss out on the Great Cure for something that I need cured because I don't speak italics. Even though I don't speak italics, I do speak Bold -ly, and I think I am a Font of knowledge (let's not take a vote on that one!)
(I need my ham-iness cured....)

Re: Re:Dorothy

Julie on 2/23/05 at 16:28 (169723)

You are indeed a font of knowledge, Dorothy. Continue speaking boldly

Bet you could speak italics if you wanted to too.

John H on 2/24/05 at 09:48 (169784)

Dorothy you have got to lay off the hard stuff. I think Tongues is spoken mostly in the South . When I was about 8 I really did attend a Church one time with my playmate where they spoke in tongues and handled snakes. It was in the monutain town of Andrews, N.C. It was just a little church with about 40 people located in the back woods. We only went once and I never told my mother but I have sure never forgot.

John H on 2/24/05 at 10:02 (169785)

Kathy as you probably know I had a neck fusion around 1975 at the C5/C6 and C6/C7 levels. It turned out to provide a complete cure. For about 6 months before the surgery I went through all sorts of exercise and traction programs. As it turned out none of these were going to help and probably hastened my surgery. I had a disc that had ruptured and there were two particles floating in the spinal column. When one of these particles would lodge against a nerve the pain was just about as bad as it can get and was a level 10 or more. It could last for hours or minutes. I had reached the point I just wanted to lay on the bed and not move for fear some movement would bring on the pain. For whatever reason scans at that time could not pick up these particles and the surgeon was treating me for degenerative disc disease. Probably the cause was a helicopter crash in 1969. I called the surgeon one Sunday and told him I could not live like this and he said to come in the next morning. I had a myleogram that morning and a 4 hour surgery going through the front of the neck and using bone from my hip (ouch that is what really hurt) and I was pain free immediately after surgery and have been so since. The graft formed a solid piece of bone and I never noticed in loss of neck mobility although I surely must have lost some. Eight months later I was back on the basketball court. I have knows several people since then including my Drugest who had the same surgery. Sort of common. Thinking about going through the front of the neck and sweeping back all the tissue and throat to reach the spine was not a comforting thought but that is the way they do it. I have this scar on my throat which gives me this manly man bad guy look. Chicks like it??