Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstocks with soft footbeds?

Posted by Buck T. on 2/22/05 at 11:54 (169629)

Hello everyone. Know many of you like Arizona and Florida Birkenstocks. Which footbed do you prefer. They make regular and soft footbeds.

Sincerely, Buck T.

Re: Birkenstocks with soft footbeds?

Dorothy on 2/22/05 at 12:41 (169632)

Buck -
I've worn the traditional Arizona for years, but last year found some of the softbed at a good price on sale and gave them a try. I love the softbed. It is entirely possible that the softbed will eventually become a traditional footbed through wear and compression. I do think that the traditional Arizona footbed is better if you want to wear socks, which I do in cold weather.
I also bought a pair of the Tatami high arch Birkenstocks at the same time and have found that they are not really a favorite. I put them on for short periods from time to time but they are not the all-day good comfort of the softbed or the traditional Arizona.
One person's opinion...

Re: Birkenstocks with soft footbeds?

Suzanne D. on 2/22/05 at 16:12 (169652)

I also like the soft footbed. The Arizonas I bought when I first found out about Birkenstocks three years ago have the soft footbed. I had the soft footbed padding added to my removeable footbeds from my Annapolis shoes.

Then last summer I bought a pair of Tatami Birks online from the German site (Santee - not available in the US). They do not have a soft footbed, as such, but they also do not have a toe bar and are covered with a black material of some kind which makes them seem not as hard. They are not as soft, though, as the shoes with the soft footbed.

I think that I might be able to tolerate the regular footbed now, but when my feet were really hurting, it was especially helpful to me to have the soft footbed as an option.

If you have the chance, it would be good if you could try on shoes with both types of footbeds so you could see which you prefer.

Suzanne :)