Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just had ESWT

Posted by Leslie B on 2/22/05 at 13:51 (169638)

I wanted to let you know I just had my first (and hopefully last) ESWT treatment this morning. I asked for no sedation and they did agree to it - somewhat reluctantly. I had an IV and was told I could get some sedatives put in the line at any time. Of course I experienced some pain - especially during the injections themselves, but I dealt with it fine. Apparently I am the ONLY patient at that particular surgery center to have had the tratment without sedation! All of the nurses and doctors were talking about me. It was humorous. My doctor had never had a patient without sedation, either. During the procedure we were all chatting about TV shows and movies and having a grand old time. Now I just have to hope it doesn't hurt too badly as it wakes up and more importantly that the ESWT does the job!!

Leslie

Re: Just had ESWT

elvis on 2/22/05 at 14:45 (169642)

What kind of ESWT machine did they use OssaTron or Dornier Epos Ultra? I assume you got a local anasthetic to numb your foot. Correct? Hope it works for you.

Leslie B on 2/22/05 at 15:27 (169647)

I had the Dornier Epos Ultra and yes, I had many local injections. I hope it works, too!

Tina H on 2/22/05 at 17:34 (169656)

Wow, what a circus! How many people does it take to do ESWT? Why did you have an IV? This is not at all what I experienced, Just one 'technician' doing the procedure with the doctor popping supervising, every so often. Hope it works really well for you Leslie and that you are pain free soon! Good Luck and keep us posted :)Tina

Dr. Z on 2/22/05 at 17:46 (169657)

Having ESWT in a outpatient surgical center with its hugh costs is one of the reason why there is no more ESWT coverage for many insurance plans.

Leslie B on 2/23/05 at 09:07 (169692)

I was given the IV because they thought they were going to give me sedation. So it ended up being totally unneccessary since I didn't get sedation. The doctor did the procedure with the technician standing by. I don't believe she actaully did anything. Then there was the anesthesiologist standing around plus a nurse and another guy was there, but I have no idea what he was there for. So basically it ended up being an expensive 'party' for the staff since I was so easy to deal with.
Leslie

Leslie B on 2/23/05 at 09:10 (169693)

And the only reason I was AT the surgery center, was that was the ONLY way my insurance WOULD pay! I was going to have it done in one of the mobile units, but I would have had at least $1,000 out of pocket expenses. So it became obvious to me where I should go. Had the insurance paid for me to use the mobile facility, I would have gladly gone there to lower the cost.

Leslie

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/23/05 at 11:55 (169705)

In order to correct this irresponsibly use of YOUR healthcare money is to write a letter to the CEO of IBC ( keystone) and use YOUR influence as a subcriber . The reason that there is no more ESWT is due to the hundreds of EXPENSIVE parties that take place in Ambulatory Surgical Centers.
DOCTOR has no influence with this decison making its up to you. You are very lucky because starting March 1, 2005, there is no more coverage for
IBC.
Send me a copy of your letter at (email removed)