Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tried just about everything...

Posted by david on 2/22/05 at 20:50 (169662)

Very frustrated and sore ( as in discomfort). Had pf for over a year now. Cortisone, inserts, anti inflams, the strassburgh sock and splints. My condition seems to just keep getting worse. Thinking about trying the shockwave therapy. I just want to feel myself again.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Respectfully...

Dave C.

Re: tried just about everything...

Dr. Z on 2/22/05 at 21:06 (169663)

I think that ESWT can help you very much. The inclusion criteria for ESWT is pain for over six months and three failed conservative treatment. Do you have pain when you first get up in the morning or after sitting for any length of time. Is this a painful spot on the bottom on your heel where the plantar fascia inserts into the bottom?

david on 2/23/05 at 18:41 (169735)

yes dr. It hurts in the morning and after sitting or resting. Painful on the bottom of the heel, at the apex if you will where the right and left sides of the heel meet in the back. Also hurts along the base on the sides. The pain rotates through the day but always comes back to the back.

Haven't played basketball or ran for over a year. Now I just want to live without the discomfort. I have a physical job and it gets rougher each day related to the heel pain.

Dave

david on 2/24/05 at 04:50 (169774)

btw..how painful is the treatment? I hear it can be quite uncomfortable.

DC

nolan on 2/24/05 at 09:21 (169782)

have you found out why you have PF? you need to know that to begin to correct it.

david on 2/24/05 at 17:55 (169826)

why...beats me... many running miles, very physical job. I can't pin point it? Just woke up one morning with it.

DC

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/24/05 at 20:05 (169838)

David:
I think that most would consider ESWT not very uncomfortable. When high energy ESWT is used, a local anesthetic is used. When low energy ESWT is used, no anesthesia is used. Nevertheless, I let all patients know that if they have a driver, we can give them some relaxants or analagesics before the treatment to make the experience even easier. A few of us use nitrous oxide (laughing gas) -- more popular with dentists than podiatrists.
Ed

david on 2/25/05 at 04:56 (169858)

thank you ed....I hope it is the solution for me.

Dave

Re: had my first shcokwave session today....

david on 2/26/05 at 17:24 (169972)

Had my first session early this afternoon. No local...took it straight. Foot felt decent when I left the office. Took a nap now it is a bit tender. Hope to be on the road to recovery :o))

Dave