Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome

Posted by jgordon on 2/23/05 at 18:50 (169737)

I was diagnosed with tarsal tunnel in July of 2004. I was given a boot to wear to relieve the pressure off my foot. I went for physical therapy for a month, but it only got worse. In September I went for an MRI and they found a stress fracture in my foot. I was put into a cast for three weeks. I was unable to work, cause sitting all day caused alot of pain and my foot to swell. I have been out of work since. I went to a Rheumatologist for blood work, but everything came back normal. In December I had surgery (tarsal tunnel release). Immediately there was no more pain. After a month I went back into physical therapy. After two weeks, one night I was stretching my foot and pulled the nerve. It didn't feel right, so I went back to the doctor for a cortizone shot. I had to be off my foot for a week. After that week I went back to physical therapy. Last week I had to go for another shot because the pain got so intense. Here I am a week later and it's getting worse. My doctor has told me that if I am not feeling better in a few weeks, we may have to do the surgery again. Somehow when I pulled the nerve I caused some type of damage again. I am so upset. I cry all the time. I have been out of work for six months. This problem has caused so much stress in my personal life also. I'm at my wits end. I'm getting ready to get some anti-depressants cause I can't take this anymore. I just want to walk again without a boot/brace on my foot.

Re: Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome

JG on 2/23/05 at 19:13 (169740)

Sorry for all of your pain. TTS is definitely stressful for anyone who has it. Did you pull a nerve doing your physical therapy exercises? Do you think PT caused your problems, because it sounded like you were OK after surgery.

skully on 2/23/05 at 23:29 (169758)

The boots/braces - none of that helped me. The lidoderm patches did! I walked ***3*** miles today - that's the most I've walked in YEARS. OMG my butt and legs are so tired and sore, lol, but my foot is hanging in there.

I think these patches were the magic bullet for me. The foot hurts some tonight, but not like it did before the patches.

I wish you luck - PT really bothered my foot and made me feel stupid too.

Darlene on 2/24/05 at 11:57 (169793)

Could you request another MRI to see what is going on in there? After the surgery did the doc tell you the reason for your TTS?

Re: To Scully

chrisb on 2/25/05 at 12:05 (169877)

I'm going to try the patches. Where exactly are you applying yours? On the heel/instep or on the tarsal tunnel up by your ankle?
Thanks
Chris

skully on 2/28/05 at 00:29 (170097)

I put mine exactly where the nerve runs - and it may be that my skin is very thin so it works well, I dunno, but they really are helping a good bit.

I put mine down to the arch of my foot, over the path of the nerve, then I put one across the top of my foot going down to the other side, under the bone there.

I cut mine lengthwise in strips and follow the path of the nerve - that lets me use 1 patch 2 days - my stupid BCBS insurance won't cover the complete cost, so they are very expensive for me - especially on top of the neurontin that they don't cover either. UGGGGG

BUT - I walked the other day, I went to the flea market yesterday, and I swam today - all things I have not been able to do in a very long time.

I hope you have some success as well - see if you can get samples though before you have to buy them. They are too darn high if your insurance is like mine.

skully on 2/28/05 at 00:32 (170099)

I had a bad accident 8 years ago, I turned my toes under, and really damaged my ankle. I had an MRI but all they saw was some mild varicose veins, but they saw where my talus bone had been broken, and I've got an osteochondral defect with a mass. The cartledge is partially off but its in place.

I never had the surgery. I don't think it would work in my case. I've had this for 8 years, and I think that nerve got damaged in the fall. My neurologist thinks so too. I understand my nerve tests were really really bad.

skully on 2/28/05 at 00:33 (170100)

I'm sorry, wrong thread. I thought you were talking to me. OOPS!

Kim on 3/03/05 at 18:36 (170385)

I am also due to have surgery because of Tarsel Tunnel Syndrome. I have gotten the custom orthotics, had physio, and cortisone shots (three in one heel.) To no avail. I am schedualed to have a EMG, then go on a surgical waiting list! Not looking forward to it, but do I have a choice?

Dr. Wishnie on 3/04/05 at 13:50 (170443)

yes you do. I would be glad to see if you are a candidate for cryotherapy. Go to my web site, stopfootpainfast.com. You can contact me directly and would love to speak with you. If it is easier for you, you can e-mail me your number. I wish you well. Dr. Wishnie

JorgeB. on 4/03/05 at 21:03 (172521)

Scully!! what is the name of this patches?

NancyA on 4/18/05 at 20:00 (173383)

I just saw this thread--I think I have tts & I also have been diagnosed with cts (carpel tunnel syndrome) in both hands. But the pain in my feet is much worse--I wear orthotics, I do infrared light therapy every day, I have been to MANY doctors--I've been living with this pain for 6 years--
I'm afraid of cortisone shots--just wondering more about the patches you were talking about. I hve ankle pain, heel pain, numbness, burning & tingling thruout my feet & it hurts to walk. I can't sleep--I toss & turn for about 6 hrs & finally (I think thru pure wxhaustion, I fall asleep around 3am) then I have to get uo at 5:30am. My Doc wants me to try neurontin--the side effects of being dizzy & tired don't thrill me, though.''

I was just wondering what these patches are supposed to do?

Re: TTS and Patch

SD on 4/19/05 at 22:24 (173436)

Neurontin is one of the anti-seizure drugs that are first line of defense when dxed with pn or rsd. It has fallen out of favor as it is an off label use and has not helped many people. I was on a dose of 3600mg and it did nothing to relieve the pain.It made me hyper, and that's about all. However, it is worth a try for sure JUST in case it does help you. Start at a low dose(300-400mg) and work your way up. The cortisone shots also are only useful if you have not had this condition for such a long time. I have had plenty of those and no pain relief. I have had what you do for 11 years and only the Patch and Pop have provided a bit of relief. The patch and the pop are both forms of Fentynal. The patch is for long term pain and the pop is for breakthrough pain. The patch needs to be changed every 72 hours(3days)and is usually prescribed by PAIN MANAGEMENT physicians. It comes in MIC doses. Usually, someone starts with a 25 mic dose of patch and 200mic of the pop.
My condition is like yours. Shoes and socks are forms of torture and walking and even swimming have become a challenge. My dx varies from TTS to RSD to PN to 'hmmm what can this be?' I, also, have seen many physicians near and far and still have horrendous pain levels daily.
If you wish to know more, just send me another post. I belong to a great online pain support group if you are interested. All the best,
Suzy