Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Systemic condition? PF and tendonitis

Posted by Mary De on 2/25/05 at 15:42 (169903)

New question:

Is there possibly a single underlying condition can predispose individual to both tendonitis and PF? Has anyone researched (if so, can you point me to)? I have had tendonitis, at times disablingly severe, in hands/wrists, long before the PF appeared. Hormonal? Tina (earlier thread) suggested thyroid disorder? I'd much appreciate any solid info on this angle.

Thanks again, I'm grateful for the help!

Re: Systemic condition? PF and tendonitis

Julie on 2/25/05 at 16:56 (169910)

Mary, I'm not a doctor, but I know two other people who have had generalised troubles with tendons: pf, rotator cuff tendinitis, wrist tendonitis. Two isn't a big sample, but both these friends think their tendons are in general predisposed to problems.

Not the solid information you want, just an observation.

And a question. I suspect this could go with hypermobility (loose ligaments, which allow excessive movement of the joints). Are you hypermobile?

2B on 2/25/05 at 19:16 (169923)

Two words: anklyosing spondylitis
(not a dr, just a patient w/AS and all of those probs...try a rheumatologist)

Mary De on 2/26/05 at 17:15 (169967)

Thanks for ideas! Julie, no, I'm not hypermobile. I've just looked up ankylosing spondylitis--auto-immune-esque arthritis of the spine. Description doesn't quite match me...but hey, I'll consider it. Is there any research on auto-immune cause of PF? (Remember, in Jade cream trial few years back, that Aussie Dr. was keen to say there was, and many others on this board poo-pooed the idea).

Is anyone aware of research on hormonal connections? Menopause *seems* to be a factor, but I haven't been able to find a direct link. Nonetheless, it's my leading suspect.

2B on 2/26/05 at 19:38 (169988)

When you mention disabling tendonitis of hands, wrists, + pf, makes me think of rheumatological condition (AS being just one). AS can affect peripheral joints and in fact my feet were the first, worst, longest problem. Women esp., can be affected differently than men. Rheumatology might be worth a check. Best wishes.

Mary De on 3/02/05 at 15:59 (170306)

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Lori S on 3/05/05 at 00:27 (170484)

My podiatrist as well as my endo agree that my tendon/pf problems are likely because of my thyroid. If you search hypothyroid on about.com tendon problems are listed as a symptom. You can also email Mary Shoman and ask her about it, she maybe able to point you to studies on auto-immune diseases realted to tendons. When my thyroid is wayyyy off the carpal tunnel gets bad, and my whole body aches. The symptoms you describe could be several auto-immune things. I am not a doc..... but my PF is much better since eswt, now if I could only get my thyroid leveled out!...... Best wishes,

Margaret H on 3/15/05 at 09:17 (171215)

I have the same thought...developed PF about 9 months ago...seens a little better, but now having cramping of calves and feet as well as tinging and pulsating in the feet. I had lyme about 5 years ago. Also wondering if it is thyroid related (hyper-thyroid). Have you found out anything since your post in February.