Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Julie/yoga

Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 2/25/05 at 23:40 (169929)

Julie:

I am working on some written material and patient handouts on stretching as loosening the tight gastrosoleus complex is important but there is way too much 'mis-advice' on technique out there, even from sources that are fairly reputable (United Shockwave when doing ESWT has a patient handout on stretching and there too is the weight bearing stretch to avoid so I somehat diplomatically inform my patients by drawing on the handouts) and I feel the need to write a fairly good piece on what constitutes correct stretching technique including use of yoga. I checked Scott's heel pain book and then did a search on the site but the searches are now limited to only 30, beyond that we have to obtain more from Scott.
Somewhere on this site, I believed, your information to be but am unsure where.

If you have material available (some illustrations would be helpful if present) could you please email them to me at (email removed)
I will credit you properly for your contribution and list your book as a reference so be sure to include that information too.

Thank you very much in advance.
Ed

Re: Julie/yoga

Julie on 2/26/05 at 03:10 (169934)

Ed

Scott made the word yoga a link to the post in which I described the yoga foot exercises: if you click on it, you will be transported there. You are very welcome to use it, but if you need (as you surely will) to edit it a little for length, I'd like to check it before it goes to print. My email is julie fried @ clara. co. uk (without spaces).

I can't email illustrations, as I am not digitally set up. The easiest way for you to obtain them is to get a copy of my Office Yoga . There are used copies on Amazon.com: you need to key in my name, Julie Friedeberger, as well as the title, as there are several 'clones' on the site. I've just looked, and there is a copy just up the road from you (or maybe down) in Washington, for $3.69. (A bargain, if I may say so). And that will give you the details for the reference.

I am glad you are doing this. Please let me know if I can be of any more help. It would be a good idea to include a word of precaution about yoga, as people tend to think of it as a panacea for all ills, but there is so much of it that is not helpful for people with heel pain and other foot ailments.

Julie on 2/26/05 at 07:14 (169936)

Ed, the illustrations you would need for the foot exercises are on pages 71-73.

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/26/05 at 16:16 (169962)

Julie:
Found the link. Thank you. You had mentioned illustrations -- I will look at Amazon.com. I have been on a bit of a handout making roll starting last year as I am dissapointed with too much of the material out there. I mentioned that to ScottR too as I use his heel pain book as a reference as it is more comprehensive then any of the material put out by APMA or ACFAS. ACFAS does have a lecture series on Powerpoint which is decent and may take a look at that for illustrations too.

I ran a search on 'human anatomy' and was surprised to see how little came up.
One company had a great illustration of plantar fasciitis but quotes no prices, apparently being oriented to making expensive illustrations to use in the court room. What I want to see, eventually would be some short clips where we can take the anatomy but animate it to try to show the biomechanics we are constantly explaining but really unsure how much patients are understanding.
One company with some nice pictures is Primal Images; a bit pricey but they take realistic anatomy for their illustrations. Some of the DVD's they are selling have excellent artwork but are incomplete yet they are charging full price...

Years ago, the famous medical artist that all med students knew was Frank Netter. He drew a series of monographs that were distributed, often complimentary, by Merck and I will do a search on Netter's work too.
Ed

Re: Netter

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/26/05 at 16:22 (169963)

Julie:
Here is a link for Netter. He passed away in 1991 which may explain why his work is slowly dissappearing. http://www.netterimages.com/artists/
Ed

Julie on 2/27/05 at 02:56 (170007)

Ed, I mentioned Office Yoga because I thought you were asking me about illustrations for the three simple foot exercises: that's all of relevance that you'll find in the book. I don't know where you can find illustrations that show biomechanics, but I am intrigued and when I get a moment I'll google and see what turns up. There must be something out there that you can use.

Buck T. on 2/27/05 at 10:03 (170022)

Dr. Ed. Hope you will make handouts on stretching available here. It would benefit many.

Sincerely, Buck T.