Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

foot/knee/hip/back pain

Posted by ian k. on 2/26/05 at 15:24 (169960)

To Whom it may concern, for the last several years I have been experiencing extreme pain in all the above areas, consistently on my left side. Doctors have done a bone scan - came back fine; blood work-same etc. ( I have even been told to lose weight and I am not that big!) I am running out of ideas when I heard that it could be related to a foot problem. Your opinion would be most helpful.Should I go and see a foot doctor? Any further info needed to evaluate my question just ask. Sincerely Ian

Re: foot/knee/hip/back pain

Fed Up Also on 2/26/05 at 17:22 (169971)

GO TO A PODIATRIST AND TAKE YOUR CHECK BOOK, VISA CARD AND TAKE OUT A SECOND MORTGAGE...........

Mike W on 2/27/05 at 11:27 (170029)

Hello Ian,

I am not a doctor but have lots of expeince with physical therapy.

The sciatic nerve involves the lower back, hips, legs and feet.

If your quad muscles are tight they could pull on your hip which could in turn pull on your lower back. They could also pull on your knee and place stress their as well. Tight calf muscles can affect the mechanics of your ankle and feet. So I guess my point is that they are all connected and if one or more is out it can affect the others.

If you want some more info on good non weight bearing exercises please check out my website http://www.foottrainer.com . You should also check out yoga stretches as well.

Regards,

Mike W

Julie on 2/27/05 at 11:55 (170035)

Ian, the feet, knees, hips and lower back are a continuum: anything that affects any of the structures, such as tight quadriceps or hamstrings or calves along that continuum will affect the others.

Problems can certainly start with the feet. Something as simple as over-pronation, for example, can affect the knees. As soon as there is pain in the knee, the body will action to avoid the pain - perhaps favouring that leg and putting less weight on it, or some other compensatory action. That will affect the hips, and whatever affects the hips will affect the lower back sooner or later.

But it can work the other way: the problem can originate with the sciatic nerve, which has branches that serve the entire lower limb. Do you remember where the pain began?

I'm sure one of the doctors will have an opinion. Mine is that yes, it probably would be a good idea to see a foot doctor (podiatrist). At the same time it would be useful to see a physical therapist, or an osteopath or chiropractor - someone who is knowledgeable about back problems and experienced and skilled in diagnosing and treating them.

Julia M on 2/28/05 at 16:11 (170162)

You might also want to try a naprapath. They specialize in working on soft tissues such as tendons, muscles , and so on. My naprapath found that at least some of the pain in my heel is due to muscles and tendons in my lower leg being tight, which also affects the way my hips and back feel. So overall they take a very holistic approach to pain which can supplement care from a podiatrist really well.

Dorothy on 2/28/05 at 18:56 (170181)

Julia M - Are you in the U.S.? I don't recall ever seeing or hearing about a 'naprapath' and I like to fancy myself pretty 'up' on alternative med. matters. Can you go into any more detail about this ?speciality?

Julie on 3/01/05 at 01:27 (170188)

Dorothy

In case Julia doesn't look in regularly and see your question, I can answer it, because my reaction was the same as yours when she first told us about naprapaths a few weeks ago. I thought she must mean 'naturopath', but I was wrong. I googled on naprapath and found several informative websites. I can't recall what they said, apart from the fact that they do soft tissue work, but you too can google if you want to.

Dorothy on 3/01/05 at 01:54 (170190)

Julie - Thanks for that.
Julie, if you can give a concise, clear description of what has gone wrong with your computer, I will ask my husband if he can give some help. He is very good with these things. I can't vouch for his schedule and time tomorrow, but maybe....
First I should ask (and I should know this already..) but do you have a PC or a Mac??

If you don't already have the problem solved and you want to give the description, I'll see if he thinks he can help...??? If he can't or can't give it the time it might need, he'll say so. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it; that is very frustrating.

Julia M on 3/01/05 at 17:30 (170231)

Hi there,

Thanks Julie, for answering Dorothy's question. Yes, I'm in the US, and there are naprapaths in a lot of the major cities. One of the two accredited colleges of naprapathy, the Chicago National College of Naprapathy, is located here in Chicago, so there are quite a few of naprapaths practicing here.

Here's a link to a directory of naprapaths: http://www.naprapathy.org/FindANaprapath.asp

And here's a link to a description of what a naprapath does:
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,10133,00.html

'Today, naprapathy is used to treat a wide array of ailments. Most common are back, neck, and hip problems, which in turn may produce systemic complaints such as low energy, tension headaches, digestive disorders, or unexplained depression, for example. During treatment, the spine is at times manipulated, but only to use the vertebrae as 'levers' for stretching the soft tissue, not to alter their position (as in chiropractic subluxation).

Because Smith's teachings emphasized specific stretching or 'mobilization' of soft tissues, naprapathic manipulation is not highly forceful. After locating areas of pain or rigidity (called 'ligatites'), a naprapath will gently manipulate the tissues, stretch and massage constricted areas, and apply pressure to specific places (called trigger points) until the muscle, tendon, or ligament loosens.

The goal of this therapy is to restore natural flexibility and release tension, leaving the connective tissues pliable and in balance. This not only relieves pain and improves mobility, but enhances blood flow, nerve conduction, and the body's own healing energy. Like chiropractors, naprapaths will employ nutritional supplements and herbs to facilitate the body's ability to heal itself.'

Dorothy on 3/02/05 at 00:59 (170251)

Thank you, Julia M.

Julie on 3/02/05 at 02:28 (170253)

Thanks, Julia. I looked at the website as I had been wondering where the word 'naprapath' itself comes from, and found this:

'The word comes from the Czech napravit meaning 'to correct,' and the Greek pathos, for 'suffering,' and doctors of naprapathy (D.N.s) are dedicated to this cause.'

I'm all for it. :)