Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help wanted with my email programme

Posted by Julie on 2/28/05 at 06:56 (170118)

John, Kathy, Wendy, anyone who knows more than I do.

The 'Send' option has disappeared from the menu of my email programme, and I don't know what to do. Can anyone help? It's the programme that came installed with my iMac two years ago, and I assume it's part of Outlook Express.

How can I fix this? Or do I have to download another programme?

All suggestions welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Help wanted with my email programme

John H on 2/28/05 at 09:01 (170125)

Julie: Go to the Microsoft Web Site and download the free Outlook Express and reinstall. There are a couple of utilities that might bring it back but I do not think you have them.

Julie on 2/28/05 at 09:23 (170126)

Thanks very much, John.

I was thinking of downloading Eudora, which I remember you thought highly of. Do you still and, as I have to replace my programme, should I get Eudora instead?

John H on 2/28/05 at 09:47 (170128)

Julie: What Mac operating system are you running? One of the best mail programs out there is the one that come with the Mac Operating System named 'Mail'. I do like Eudora and it is great but it is not free unless you want to look at the ads. I think you can download it for free and give it a try to see what you think. The most current verison of Eudora is version 6. I never have liked Outlook. It was designed for PC's although it does work with Mac's. You might be better to upgrade your operating system which already has one of the best mail programs available. The most current OS is 10.3.8 which is light years ahead of OS 9 if you are still running that system. Eventually that system will disappear. I know you do no like change but there comes a time----. You will need a minimum of 256 mb and preferable 512 to run the latest Mac OS.

Julie on 2/28/05 at 10:05 (170133)

John, my system is OS 10.2, and my mail programme is...MAIL! So I will go to the Mac site and re-install it. I have millions of mb (256, I think.)

Can I re-install the Mail programme separately from OE, or do I have to re-install OE as well?

I will forget Eudora. Who needs ads?

John H on 2/28/05 at 10:34 (170138)

Julie Yes you can install the mail program separately. I think I have a copy that I can send you. I will look. Also look on the Mac web page under downloads. This I think is the best Mail program available and really easy to use. It also has a built in spam blocker which is very easy to train. You will love it.

John H on 2/28/05 at 10:47 (170139)

Julie: I just emailed you the MAIL program. It is long (12 mb) so it will take some time to download. You will need to go into the preferences and set it up with all the usual setting for sending and receiving mail. You will use the same settings you have in in your other mail program.

Re: John

Julie on 2/28/05 at 10:52 (170140)

Thank you! It hasn't come yet (it's only a couple of minutes since you sent it) but I will await it and do my best not to mess up when it comes. It's really good of you to do this for me!

Thanks again. I may have questions for you, ok?

John H on 2/28/05 at 10:53 (170141)

Mail is a completely different application than OE so you can forget OE once you get mail up and running. Go to your OE settings and copy them down as you will need them for your MAIL preference settings. Things such as: User Name,Mail Server,SMTP Server,email address,password.

Julie on 2/28/05 at 11:25 (170143)

John, the programme has arrived and been downloaded, but I can't open it. And I can't open my old mail programme either.

What should I do now?

Julie on 2/28/05 at 11:27 (170144)

Correction. I can open the old Mail programme (for whatever use it is - not much) but not the new one.

Julie on 2/28/05 at 11:28 (170145)

I ought to have said that when I clicked on it, it gave me a message saying 'This is the first time this programme will open. Do you want to open it?' and I clicked 'open', and nothing happened.

Julie on 2/28/05 at 11:48 (170147)

I've tried quitting all programmes and shutting down and restarting, but that didn't work, nor did re-installing the programme. I have run out of ideas and hope you have one.

Thanks!

John H on 2/28/05 at 12:32 (170148)

Julie: If I were near by I could run some utilities and probably solve your problem but alas I am in Little Rock. The only thing I can suggest is to reboot your computer from one of the Disk that came with your computer. You can only repair your disk if you have started it up from some other source such as the disk that came with you computer. If one of those disc has your Operating System on it then it will probably work. You do that by inserting disk and restarting while holding down the 'C' key. After this go to your Hard Drive-Applications-Utilities and then to Disk Utility. Open this up and select your hard drive. You will then be presented with Disk First Aid which you can run. It will repair a lot of errors some of which may be your problem. Make sure you have the Disk First Aid in your Utility Folder before you start. You probably have several Disk that came with you computer and I am not sure which one it will boot from but one of them will boot it up when doing a restart while holding down the 'C' key. The computer is much like a car in that you need to run some utilities on a regular basis to keep it in shape. I think if you had Disk Warrior or knew someone who has it you could run it and probably solve your problems. You probably have some directory or preference problems.

Julie on 2/28/05 at 14:45 (170155)

John, please excuse my ignorance, but where is the utilities folder located? You have told me before, and I found it then (though it didn't have what I needed) but I can't remember, and can't locate it now.

Sorry to be a nuisance (but I don't promise that this is the end of it). :)

Julie on 2/28/05 at 15:00 (170157)

I've just received the second download and have the same problem: I get the message asking me to open it, I click open, and it won't open.

Thanks for sending it again.

I am at my wits' end. :(

Suzanne D. on 2/28/05 at 16:47 (170167)

Julie, once last year after school I was using my e-mail (Outlook), and I somehow clicked on something I didn't mean to touch (now that sounds scientific, doesn't it?!), and all at once I had no 'send' option. I could hit 'reply' to a message someone had sent me, but that was the only way I could send an e-mail.

My younger daughter was in my room at the time, and I enlisted her help. She worked at the computer a few minutes and then everything was restored. I shall ask her tonight on the phone if she remembers what she did at that time. If I can understand it well enough to describe it to you, I will do my best. I know that our situations may not be the same, but I will ask nonetheless.

Best wishes,
Suzanne :)

john h on 2/28/05 at 18:02 (170171)

Julie it is located in the Applications Folder

Julie on 3/01/05 at 01:35 (170189)

Thank you, Suzanne. I'm always doing that (clicking something I didn't mean to). Yes, please, I would like to know what your daughter did to restore your 'Send' option if she can remember. I feel out of touch.

And thank you John: I've found the Utilities folder before I went to bed last night and it has disc first aid in it. I'll try to find the right disc this morning. My trouble is that I am terrified of doing anything to my computer other than write and read.

That trouble is made worse by my other trouble: I don't understand a single word of the 'Help' facility, and have never been Helped by it. It seems a different language, and I can't seem to learn it: I just don't know what it's talking about, and what it says never seems to tell me what I need to know. Sheer incompatibility.

But I'll bite the bullet and using your instructions try to clean things up today.

Suzanne D. on 3/01/05 at 11:37 (170202)

Julie, my daughter cannot remember what she did to restore my send option, but promised that when she comes home this weekend she will look at Outlook and try to remember.

I hope you are having some luck today with restoring your e-mail.
Suzanne :)

Re: Suzanne and Dorothy

Julie on 3/01/05 at 11:48 (170209)

Thank you both very much. I think I've given up, having spent the better part of two days to no purpose, and I hope my computer guy will know what to do tomorrow. He says on the phone that he hasn't run into this one before, so I'm not hopeful - though that doesn't do him justice, as he has never failed me yet.