Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

intermittent tinels sign

Posted by Amy on 2/28/05 at 15:55 (170159)

I don't have a tinels sign when I wake up - but as the day progresses and I tap around my ankle it becomes more and more pronounced. Is this true tarsal tunnel - or inflamation that increases throughout the day to push on a nerve and then abates as I rest at night? An MRI showed moderate tendosynovitis of the FHL and I am thinking that as the day progresses and that flares up, the nerve becomes irrritated - any thoughts?
Amy

Re: intermittent tinels sign

Amy on 3/01/05 at 14:38 (170217)

Hello...Anyone?

Re: i never really had a good tinels sign

Buck on 3/01/05 at 19:09 (170238)

Rarely would i get a sensation when tapping however a few times when scratching around my ankle I would get a tingling sensation down to my toes.

This would occur intermittently.

Re: i never really had a good tinels sign

Messed up foot on 3/02/05 at 16:40 (170314)

This is interesting. I found out today that the reason I did not have a positive Tinel's sign was due to 'variant' anatomy - several nerves exited the 'tunnel' through the sheath and were entraped in the very sheath that nature intended to protect it. Try pressing along your inner ankle 2' higher than the medial maleolus. This explains so much - like why the cortisone injections didn't help and why any pressure on my inner ankle/shin has been very painful for years. Left to technology, I would never have been diagnosed. My experienced surgeon knew to look beyond normal test results and listen to his patient. Pretty refreshing, no?