Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Julie Outlook Express

Posted by John H on 3/01/05 at 11:54 (170211)

I finally found Outlook on my computer. Open up Outlook and go to the 'VIEW' button on your toolbar. When it is open select 'Tool Bar' and you can toggle your tool bar on and off of your computer which hides your send and receive buttons and all others. If this does not solve it let me know. This is using Outlook 5.2.

Re: Julie Outlook Express

Suzanne D. on 3/01/05 at 15:22 (170223)

Now that is sounding familiar, John. I wrote to Julie last night that I lost my send option once last year on Outlook Express, and my daughter found it. I think what you have written sounds like what she did. I called her at college and asked her about it, but without Outlook in front of her, she couldn't remember.

I hope this works for Julie.
Suzanne :)

Julie on 3/01/05 at 16:44 (170227)

Thanks John and Suzanne! My programme is Mail, not Outlook, but I did what you suggested and discovered that there is no 'send' button in the toolbar. Everything else is there, but no 'send'. Curioser and curioser.

But, as I was up there on the toolbar, I went to 'Message', out of curiosity, and discovered that messages can be sent from the toolbar itself, or by using the command and upward arrow keys plus 'd'. So I now have a way of sending messages, even though my menu lacks its send option.

What do you make of this? Should I forget about it and just use the toolbar, as it solves the immediate problem or do you think there is really some serious underlying problem that ought to be cleared up?

Thanks so much for all your help.

john h on 3/01/05 at 18:42 (170236)

Julie: I am sure you know that the send button does not appear until you hit the button 'New' and a blank message appears at which time you type it and then hit the send. As Watson says this is elementary but sometimes it is the simple things we overlook. Also you might hit the 'View' button on the toolbar and you will find you can hide the toolbar completely including the send button. Hit it once again and the tool bar reappears.

Julie on 3/02/05 at 02:41 (170256)

John, the Mail programme doesn't have a 'New' button. It's Mail I have, not Outlook Express. I remember OE having a 'New' button, but Mail does not. Mail has a 'Compose' button, and I was always able to hit 'Send' when an email was ready to send, until it disappeared.

The 'Send' button was the first button, on the lefthand side of the menu, followed by 'Delete', 'Reply', 'Compose', 'Forward', etc. Now it is gone - gone not only from the Mail menu but also from the 'Customize Toolbar' option under 'View'. It's a complete mystery.

But now that I know I can send emails from the toolbar itself, I am satisfied. I will ask my Mac guy if he thinks we need to check over the whole system.

Thanks again!

Re: John

Julie on 3/02/05 at 04:44 (170258)

In case you are not totally bored and sick of this, I have discovered something new and (to me) interesting. If I want to Forward a message, the 'Send' button appears at the top. But when I Compose a new message, it doesn't.

I've spoken to my Mac guy and told him I can send from the toolbar. He says that I might as well save myself some money and call him again the next time I have a problem. He was surprised that Disk First Aid hadn't solved the problem, but still thinks I should forget about it until the next problem arises, and I am happy with that.

John H on 3/02/05 at 09:18 (170269)

Julie: I have 'Mail 1.3.9' and it does have the 'New' button for creating a new message. If you want to create a new mail message what button do you actuate? I am currently running OS 10.3.8. I think it is time for you to upgrade your operating system. I know you dislike change but you are driving a 57 Chevy and it is time to move on. I will look around my stack of applications and more than likely I have a copy of 10.3 after which you can apply the free updates and then be in the modern world of Mac. You may want you Mac friend there when you upgrade to 10.3 if you decide to go this route. You have been walking in those hills of Crete much to long. Take a look at your Preferences and go to Software Update. It should show you all the updates you need to apply to your current system and download them for you and install them also. Normally the Preference Panel is in the toolbar on the bottom of the screen but you may have to look in your Application folder. If you can receive mail now I will start communicating with you via email. I know there is a place on the Mac Web Site where you can download 'Mail'. Since you cannot open the one I sent you I suggest you download 'Mail' from the Mac site. It is possible to reinstall it from the disk that came with your computer but that is sort of difficult.

Re: John

Julie on 3/02/05 at 11:23 (170272)

Hi John

I guess your Mail programme is a newer version. Mine has a 'Compose' button, which I use when I want to create a new message. I guess it's the same as 'New'!

My system is the one my iMac came with two years ago: OS 10.2.3. You don't really think of it as a 1957 Chevy, do you? Surely a 2003 Mercedes is a better comparison? How is 10.3.8 different, and why should I upgrade to it, i.e. what practical difference would it make to my work, and what has it got to do with the hills of Crete?

These are serious questions! Yes, do email me: I've always been able to receive, it was only sending that posed a problem, and that is solved now too, to my great relief.

All the best,