Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Eat less milk, etc. to help with heel pain

Posted by BarbH. on 3/01/05 at 16:54 (170229)

If my heel spur is due to too much calcium in my system, would eating less dairy, i.e, yogurt, milk, cheese, etc. help? I eat a lot of yogurt and drink milk. Would reducing my intake of yogurt help reduce my spur or not cause it to grow?

Re: Eat less milk, etc. to help with heel pain

Julia M on 3/01/05 at 17:35 (170233)

I am not a doctor, but my understanding is that it is not an excess of calcium in the body that causes heel spurs, but excessive tension in the plantar fasciia. A podiatrist told me that this is the only place in the body where excessive strain causes the bone to respond in this way.

At any rate, I don't think limiting your calcium would help with the pain, and since calcium keeps your other bones strong, you probably don't want to limit it.

Scott R on 3/01/05 at 23:40 (170247)

I think bone spurs can occur in other places in the body where there is a ligament, tendon, or fascia pulling on the bone.

Julie on 3/02/05 at 02:25 (170252)

Barb, the so-called heel spur is rarely the cause of pain. As I've been led to understand it, it is the body's response to inflammation of the plantar fascia: it lays down bone in an attempt to heal. The terms 'heel spur' and plantar fasciitis are still used interchangeable by people (i.e. doctors) who really know better - I suppose because 'heel spur' is simpler and easier to pronounce and grasp. But it is misleading.

Cutting out or cutting down on dairy foods, especially milk, might be a good idea for other reasons, though..

Richard, C.Ped on 3/02/05 at 08:26 (170262)

I agree with Julie. Most often, the 'hook' you see in an x-ray is actually inflammation where the soft part of the fascia turns into the hard part of the calcaneous. It is not really a spur. The spur in the anterior portion of the calcaneous is actually located above the plantar fascia, and has nothing to do with pain. Are spurs located elsewhere? Yes. As Julie stated, the term 'plantar fasciitis' was quite a mouthful to say, so it has been shortened to 'heel spur'.

As for the milk question, well, I also agree with what Julie said.