Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

soft ortholics vs hard ortholics for P.F. po-surgery

Posted by ray on 3/01/05 at 22:34 (170246)

the doc is going to order me some new ortholics im 9 mo out of p.f.open surgery and my foot is still sore and recovering now are hard or soft ortholics better for healing the planter and pain please help

Re: soft ortholics vs hard ortholics for P.F. po-surgery

Richard, C.Ped on 3/02/05 at 08:20 (170261)

I personally think the softer will be better, however, my version of a soft may be different than your docs version. My soft orthosis has the proper support, but with good cushion. Others soft that I have seen are good cushion, but not much support. I would stay away from the hard plastic. That is my opinion though.

Buck T. on 3/02/05 at 15:06 (170301)

Hi Richard: Without giving trade secrets away can you say generally how you make orthotics? What type of softer material do you use? Thanks.

Buck Scheib

Richard, C.Ped on 3/02/05 at 15:22 (170303)

No secret at all. I make them the correct way. haha

I use 1/8' 30 durometer EVA for the shell material and 1/2' 40 durometer EVA for the posting.

cathie w on 3/02/05 at 19:21 (170327)

I am not very knowledgeable regarding ortholics and that is the direction my doctors are pushing me. I just spoke with my doctor yesterday and he reminded me that most insurance companies do not pay for them and they are expensive. He said that where ever I go to be sure to work closely with whom ever is fitting me for them to be sure they know what my needs are and where the pressure points of pain are on my foot. He also told me that the soft ones last for about a year usually because the materials used break down faster then the hard ones that can last about 5 years. He recommended for my situation that I get the thinnest hard plastic ones with as much cushion in them as possible. So I guess I recommend you talk to your doctor about who he recommends and what type he recommends then talk to everyone in here and get their opinions etc...Get as much information as you can before you jump.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/02/05 at 19:51 (170328)

Richard:
I view the durometer (hardness) of materials used in orthotics as a continuum so I avoid classifying orthotics as hard, soft etc. There is not a standard often as patient tolerances are so different; orthotic construction is an art as much as it is a science. Additionally, layering lets us make different parts of the othotic of different durometers so we often have a 'combination' product that defies classification as 'soft' and 'hard.'
Ed

Buck T. on 3/03/05 at 17:21 (170381)

Okay, Richard: Actually, my POD has believed in hard plastic ones until now. He says in my case he admits to being wrong and wants to do softer orthotics. He needs info on softer ones so this will help.

Sincerely, Buck T.

Richard, C.Ped on 3/07/05 at 07:50 (170597)

Tell him to send me either a slipper cast of your foot or a foam impression. I will make them for you. ;-)

Margaret H on 3/15/05 at 09:04 (171214)

I would like soft orthotics made that have support for my high arches. Where are you located?

Richard, C.Ped on 3/15/05 at 09:17 (171216)

Hi Margaret,
I am in Columbia, South Carolina. If you would like to email me, please feel free. (email removed)