Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Favorite Junk Food

Posted by Susan on 3/02/05 at 14:12 (170289)

Everybody,
What is your favorite junk food? I just got started on Tostito party bowl - spicy queso cheese dip, and those blue corn chips that are organic.

Re: Favorite Junk Food

Elyse B on 3/02/05 at 14:27 (170292)

Hostess cupcakes. They too are organic.

Kathy G on 3/02/05 at 16:23 (170307)

A Honey dipped coffee roll, warmed up, from Dunkin' Donuts. Of course, if you don't live in New England, you probably don't have a Dunkin' Donuts on every corner like we do. It's kind of like the dough from a honey dipped donut with cinnamon swirled in it. Delicious!

Or maybe Peppridge Farm Raspberry Turnovers. Ah yes, pure delight and totally empty calories!

Let's see, the raspberries might be considered organic. Would the cinnamon sticks from which the cinnamon was taken count? :)

Linda V. on 3/03/05 at 07:32 (170339)

Hostess cupcakes? Wow, that brought back memories. On 'good' days, we might have found them in our Flintstones lunchbox we took to school.
As far as snacks, I think you are either a SWEET or SALT person. I am a salt...potato chips,fritos, pumpkin seeds, etc.

Susan on 3/03/05 at 08:06 (170342)

I'm a salt person too, although I won't turn down a sweet. But really my absolute all-time favorite is a combination of salty and sweet. Salty popcorn and junior mints, eaten together.

Linda V. on 3/03/05 at 08:33 (170343)

Susan...this sounds very strange, but a night nurse I used to work with actually rolled pickles in melted chocolate and ate them at work at 3 am. Most of us stayed our distance..talk about a mixture of sweet and salt!

Susan on 3/03/05 at 08:38 (170345)

Now that beats all I have ever heard.

Julie on 3/03/05 at 09:46 (170347)

Linda, was she Hispanic? In some South American countries (I'm not certain which) chocolate is used in sauces for meat - turkey in particular. That's the salt/sweet combination too - not so extreme as pickles in chocolate though.

John H on 3/03/05 at 10:23 (170352)

Rasberry cheesecake would rank high on my list as would a very thick chocolate malt made with the best ice cream available and served in a milkshake glass with the steel container it was mixed in sitting beside my glass still half full. I may just get one at lunch now that I think about it!

Re: Malted milks in steel containers

Julie on 3/03/05 at 10:53 (170359)

John, it is possible? Do they really still make malted milks in those conical steel containers? Shades of my childhood and youth.

Anyway, that chocolate malt would be my choice too - and I haven't had one for nearly a half century. In the evening canteen at Antioch I used to order 'chocolate malted, very thick, with lots of malt'.

I haven't thought about that since 1957.

I think I must be dreaming.

Thanks for the memory.

Susan on 3/03/05 at 18:46 (170388)

This is from boston.com:
The 40-day study, of 60 people in Pakistan with Type 2 diabetes, found that one gram a day of cinnamon -- one-fourth of a teaspoon twice daily -- significantly lowered the subjects' blood sugar, triglycerides (fatty acids in the blood), LDL (or 'bad') cholesterol, and total cholesterol.

We have a new Dunkin Donuts here, and now I have that honey dipped coffee roll on the brain. So much for low carbs. I hear they have good coffee too.

Ralph on 3/03/05 at 22:00 (170401)

Until they find harm with cinnamon it sounds like something pretty safe to try. Thanks for your post.

Kathy G on 3/04/05 at 10:12 (170417)

In New England, those are called frappes. The rest of the country and the world is out of step! Actually, it may just be in MA and NH. When I lived in CT, they laughed at me because they called them milkshakes.

Yes, Julie, they still mix them in those steel containers but it's been years since I've seen them given to the customer, along with a glass, so that the customer gets every last bit of the delicous drink. They actually pour any extra left in the steel glasses into the sink. Such waste!

Julie on 3/04/05 at 10:58 (170425)

Yum!

John H on 3/04/05 at 11:05 (170426)

We get the steel container with the glass in my favorite shop just outside my office 'The Purple Cow'.

Susan on 3/04/05 at 12:13 (170437)

I've had malted milk balls, but what exactly is malt?

JudyS on 3/05/05 at 22:10 (170550)

There's a hamburger chain here in SD that serves it's chocolate shakes exactly like that.......I go there only for that - never for the burgers!

Then there's Cold Stone's chocolate ice cream with fresh raspberries mixed in....

Then there's.......well, there's just not enough time to list 'em all!