Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

something in my diet?

Posted by david on 3/03/05 at 21:59 (170400)

I am struggling with pf so bad I am evaluating everything. Could it be something in my diet. I love coffee in the morning hours. For luch I usually snack on a few apples and oranges. these things are kind of aciditic. Could these things contribute to my painful spur?

Not to mention I have one starting to form on the other heel...help :o(

DC

Re: something in my diet?

Dr. David S. Wander on 3/04/05 at 14:33 (170447)

David,

It's pretty well established that the actual 'spur' at the bottom of the heel rarely, if ever causes pain. The pain is from the pulling/irritation of the plantar fascia and there is a wealth of information on this topic in Scott's Heel Pain book on this website. Several years ago there were some that believed that certain foods caused an increase in symptoms in arthritic patients, including acidic foods. I have not seen a food connection in patients that I treat for heel pain, and I can assure you that the 'spurs' are not being caused by any food, too much calcium, etc.

david on 3/04/05 at 17:24 (170468)

OK Dr...I am reaching for a solution. Tired of living in discomfort. I have a physical job and spend all day on my feet. Need a change of pace. I have no time to heal.

DC

Ralph on 3/04/05 at 17:45 (170471)

I'm on a roll with posts for some reason. David I'd ask you if it were your heart or brain injury would you make time to heal? Not only would you make time, you'd probably have no other choice. Luckily I have a desk job, but can certainly understand your situation spending the day on your feet and hear the frustration and desperation in your post. The only thing I would say is sometimes health issues make us take the time to heal whether we want to or not and there isn't a fast solution available.

I haven't read your entire thread, but from your frustration you've probably tried everything in Scott's heelpain book already. Have you also tried ESWT?

david on 3/04/05 at 17:51 (170473)

yes...had one session. No improvement. Felt ok when I left the office but had a rough week. I deliver spring water for a living. I put 50lbs. in each hand and go. Too much stress on the body. disability pay is not enough. Not whining..I relaize decisions have to be made but they do not happen over night. Trying to make a change...

Thanks..

Dave