Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I need your help finding a good shoe

Posted by cathie w on 3/05/05 at 00:04 (170481)

I had surgery Oct 28 for removal of morton's neuroma only to discover that I have a 2nd neuroma on the same foot only 1 web over that is huge. I have done all the treatments & physical therapy available to no avail and I can't have surgery to remove it for another year. It has also been discovered that I have no padding on the ball of the same foot to protect the tarsules. I can't tell you the amount of pain I am in hobbling around on a swollen, black & blue foot with marbles & lumps on the padding. Well the season is changing and I can no longer where the clod hopper boots I have been living in the last 4 months and need to find myself a good pair of comfortable shoes for work, shopping etc....with the SOFTEST CUSHION in the sole as possible. It can not be a shoe with a high arch as that only forces my foot to put more weight/pressure on the ball of the foot. I don't know anything about any of the shoes out there so am seeking your advice and knowledge in helping my on my hunt for something I can walk in. Can anyone help me? Am open to all your advice. I would also like to find some type of summer shoe/sandal too. So I guess I am looking for 2 pairs of shoes. Please help me.

Re: I need your help finding a good shoe

Janice C on 3/05/05 at 19:48 (170544)

Cathie w , I have had wonderful luck with Mephisto sandals, the ones with the cork soles, bad luck with Birks, too flat- stretched out my already inflammed plantar fascia. Also had good luck with Justin Ropers, the lace-up, don't get the one labeled 'basics', the sole is thin, they are cheaper than the regular line of Justins. My sister in law swears by SAS shoes, she has a bad case of PF. If you check out Zappos.com they have free shipping, totally refund your s & h and cost of shoe. I have about 6 pair of Mephs, but have returned about 6 pair to get a different size each time. I tried the regular soles in the Meph, but too soft, the cork bed is firm, but well-padded, looks like a Birk, but slightly higher heel. Feel like an Arizona Birk- very comf. Good luck.

elliott on 3/06/05 at 11:31 (170568)

Cathie w, try the Brooks Turin:

Maybe not the nicest looking shoe for a woman, but it is a decently stable walker with unbelievable forefoot comfort due to some kind of Hydroflow Gel in the forefoot. Works with or without orthotics. (I got a wide for extra forefoot room, which worked even though I have a narrower heel than most.) I too had neruomas in adjacent web spaces, and this was the best I found; nothing else came close.

Darlene on 3/06/05 at 15:57 (170578)

It looks like it has a nice rocker sole which will also help to offload the forefoot.

Do you think this would be better than sneakers?

elliott on 3/06/05 at 16:21 (170580)

Sneakers typically are better at support and stability than walking shoes, but, due to their upper support and often smaller toebox, often feel tight, especially for neuroma sufferers, when kept on for an extended period of time. More importantly, though, I don't want to wear sneakers at work! The Turin comes in black and can almost pass as a normal dress shoe if they're not looking too close. Regardless, the forefoot softness is wonderful. But it's possible some of the Brooks running shoes might have the same thing.

jenniferjuniper on 3/07/05 at 10:26 (170600)

My Picks:
1. Mephisto Sandals: cork sole, like a birk, but i couldn't wear birks. mephisto has excellent arch support. Love then for around the house
2. Dansko clogs: hard rocker bottom, great arch support, very supportive
3. Brooks addiction running shoe with orthotic of your choice

Tim M. on 3/14/05 at 12:09 (171180)

cathie w:

You might want to look at Z-Coils. The forefoot is very padded (3/4-inch) and the heel has the famous spring and integrated orthotic which spreads the impact much more evenly over the entire bottom of your foot. The orthotic does have an arch support in it, but it actually wasn't high enough for me when I first started wearing them, I added an over-the-counter arch support which I later removed as my feet healed and I got used to the Z-Coils.

I would ask your doctor what he/she knows about them and whether he/she thinks they might work for you.