Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dorothy, come back!

Posted by Bob G on 3/05/05 at 00:10 (170483)

I know I should be watching tv, but here goes...

Dorothy,

Don't let those nasty posters get to you. I, for one, find you very entertaining.

This one's for you:

Dorothy, it is said, once arrived at the door of an apartment in which a glittering party was taking place. At precisely the same moment, a beautiful but vacuous showgirl arrived at the door.

For a moment, there was hesitation on both sides, and then the showgirl stepped back to make way, saying, 'Age before beauty.'

'Not at all!' said Dorothy, sailing though. 'Pearls before swine!'

Re: Dorothy, come back!

Julie on 3/05/05 at 06:11 (170489)

Bob, was that Dorothy Parker?

Re: Passion vs. Compassion

marie on 3/05/05 at 07:25 (170493)

When I posted last night I hadn't read all the posts below but have quickly scanned them this morning. Sometimes we, as in the human race, become so passionate and fixed on an issue that we loose sight of the more important extention of that word 'compassion'. We are here together because of our passion for heelping others through their time of need. There are all types of personalities and believers in the world. Some will be kind and some will be unkind. We are human after all. So please remember that it is with great compassion that I say it's ok to be human. It's ok to make mistakes. What's more important is what we do, what we learn, and how we live.

And to add a little giggle to this I wrote a pledge.

I, marie, apologise for all my past posts and my future posts that may seem unkind. I am an imperfect human being striving to do the right thing. I promise that I will continue to make mistakes and learn from them. I hope that all of you will have the compassion to forgive me and the passion to continue to post to help others.

best wishes marie :)

Bob G on 3/05/05 at 09:02 (170498)

You are quite right, Julie, it was Dorothy Parker :)

Hope all is well...

Julie on 3/05/05 at 09:09 (170499)

I hear you, Marie.

Julie on 3/05/05 at 09:10 (170500)

It is, Bob, thanks. And I hope the same is true for you. Are you still running on the beach?

You should drop in here more often!

Susan on 3/05/05 at 09:36 (170501)

To each their own. When Dorothy bullies unsuspecting people who just come to these boards for help when they are hurting, I find it disturbing.

The posts describing Dorothy's behavior are nasty only to the extent that what they are describing is nasty.

john h on 3/05/05 at 11:06 (170505)

Marie other than your politics you are a wonderful woman. I will help you all I can with your political misdirection but in the meantime accept your appology.

Suzanne D. on 3/05/05 at 11:20 (170507)

Yes, Marie, passion and compassion... May compassion always reign here at Heelspurs.com. Passion is wonderful, too, but in the end, we all need compassion.

I wrote the little greeting ditty about Dr. Seuss' birthday and tried to work in 'Let bygones be bygones' with hopes for healing.

I wrote that after returning from a PTA meeting where I sat by a colleague who found out a few hours earlier that her mother probably has about 3 months to live. My colleauge is a single mom with a mentally challenged 21 year-old son and an eighth grade daughter. Her father died last year, and she has two brothers who can't/won't help at all with anything. She sat in a daze and has more on her than I can imagine right now. Besides teaching, she is taking classes to receive her master's degree. Now she must do all she can for her mother in this crucial time. We are all going to support and help her as much as we can, but I couldn't help but think of her when I read the board that night.

Life is short. Let's do all the good we can and encourage one another.
Suzanne :)

Re: How to Be an Instrument of Peace

marie on 3/05/05 at 12:53 (170512)

I have to read this little essay from time to time when I need to sort through my own hurts and judgements. Maybe it will comfort some here.

How to Be an Instrument of Peace / Embrace The Spirit of St. Francis
By Martin Pable, O.F.M.Cap.

Let's begin with our words. I don't think most of us are aware of the impact that what we say can be used to build up or tear down. The Letter of James is so insightful about the power of human speech. The author compares the tongue to the rudder of a ship: a small member, but able to give direction to a much larger body. Sadly, the human tongue often loses control. James laments the fact that it is easier to tame wild animals than to tame the tongue. He notes that, with our tongues, we bless God, yet at the same time curse our fellow human beings, who are made in the image of God. 'This need not be so,' he says (James 3:4-10).

Watch practically any prime-time TV show or talk show. Note the endless put-downs, insults, snide and sarcastic remarks, name-calling and hostile outbursts that are exchanged between characters and individuals.

Sarcasm and cynicism are the premier forms of humor. When they become relentless and pervasive, they dull our sensitivity. Unconsciously, we start to imitate what we see because the humor seems so clever and sophisticated.

'It's all in good fun,' we think. But the objects of our clever speech are not paid TV stars. They are people with feelings. They may be sensitive about their appearance, their lack of skills, their poor self-image. They are hurt. And we have contributed to the erosion of human dignity that is so characteristic of our age. If words spoken in fun have the power to hurt, how much more do words spoken in anger or intended to inflict pain? These are especially destructive when spoken to spouses, parents, children and friends.

What if we resolved in the new millennium to use our power of speech to build up, encourage, affirm, bless rather than tear down, put down, belittle? St. Paul exhorted the Christians of his time not to indulge in evil talk, but 'only such as is good for needed edification, that it may impart grace to those who hear' (Ephesians 4:29).

What words do people need to hear? 'I really love you. I like the way you handled that situation. I was proud of you tonight. I'll stand by you. I'll pray for you. I'm really glad you're part of our family. Do you need to talk? You look stressed out can I help? Thank you for taking care of that.' You get the idea. Such simple words, but what power they have.

I'm not suggesting that we never speak the 'hard' words. 'To speak the truth in love' can also be healing. Sometimes we may need to tell others how their behavior annoys or embarrasses us. Otherwise, our love will be dishonest and sentimental. We want to speak in a caring, gentle manner, so others can receive our words as helpful rather than hurtful. That will require prayer on our part.

The other need for reconciliation will arise when we are the ones who have inflicted injury on others. This calls us to the simple but deeply human act of apology. Few moments are more beautiful than when one human being says to another, in all humility and sincerity, 'I'm sorry. I should not have said/done that. Please forgive me.'

Those moments seem all too rare in our present-day passion to blame the other for whatever has gone wrong and in our litigation-happy society, when any admission of wrongdoing can become grounds for a lawsuit.

All the more reason for Christians to offer the world an alternative way to heal and restore broken relationships!

marie on 3/05/05 at 12:54 (170513)

Ahh! Still on the dark side ehhh! Come into the light. Peace out marie! ;)

JudyS on 3/05/05 at 22:31 (170551)

Hi Bob G - glad to see you're still at the top of your game!
When are you coming south?

Elyse B on 3/07/05 at 10:22 (170599)

I agree Susan, the posts about bullying are not nasty and the fact that posters cannot see this is totally beyond my understanding. Rallying around a bully is despicable.

Bob G on 3/07/05 at 20:55 (170664)

Hey Judy S - good to see you!

Somehow I just don't get around as much as before; but next time I down your way I'll be sure to look you and John up.

Can you believe the Dodgers? Whole new team! I cannot even keep up, wow!

Been years now with not a foot problem. I know I am blessed and I do stretch every day with my footflex (carry one in the car) and proper supports.

Take care! Bob G

John H on 3/09/05 at 11:08 (170787)

Always great to hear from someone with no pain in their feet Bob. Miracles do happen. Nice to hear from you.

Susan on 3/10/05 at 10:37 (170873)

I'm learning that a great many people don't care if others are mistreated as long as it's not being done to them, and even find it 'entertaining.' Brrr.

Elyse B on 3/10/05 at 10:42 (170874)

could not agree more. That is what bullying is all about.