Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EPF surgery

Posted by ElishaJ on 3/09/05 at 15:20 (170808)

I had EPF 5 weeks ago and Im pretty sure its failed. I have more pain now and it is across the whole fasia area and is just much more intense. Do you think this could be regular healing pain, or if not, what type of complication could this indicate. I have atypical PF.

Re: EPF surgery

Dr. Z on 3/09/05 at 19:04 (170829)

Hi
Any type of pf release can cause alot of pain that can last for months.
There are alot of things that your doctor can do to relieve this pain until healing takes place. Taping, boot cast, physical therapy, Hard cast

Pat on 3/09/05 at 20:32 (170843)

Five weeks is NOTHING! I had this surgery on 11/3 and it's just starting to feel better. At five weeks I was happy that I was able to touch the incision without having pain. What you should be doing (and this did help me) is try getting some type of creme (I used sports creme but you could use just about anything) and every night before you get into bed and maybe once during the day massage your foot and the scar itself. Initially it'll probably feel weird (don't force it) but I did this with the arch and the whole foot in general. It did help. I also still iced it every night at that point and stayed off it as much as possible. I had this surgery 11 years ago so I knew what to expect. I don't even think all of the swelling went away until the 3rd month. It takes up to a year to heal from this surgery and you just need to rest, rest, rest and baby your foot

ray on 3/09/05 at 21:27 (170845)

9 mo and just starting to feel better last wk i started p.t. and ft got50% better

ElishaJ on 3/10/05 at 12:37 (170880)

Thanks for your response, I started PT on my own this morning. Last week when I told my doctor I had a check-up and couldn't stop crying (which never has happened with our appointments before) he just said I'll see you in a month then, and did not advise anything to relief the pain. But I must say the TAPE they put on my feet in PT is amazing.

ElishaJ on 3/10/05 at 15:11 (170894)

Pat, thanks for your response. You really have alleiviated my concerns a lot. I just hear that people are pain free in 4 months, so that's my image and expectation. Don't you get frustrated by months of pain? Or, scared that the pain won't go away?

ElishaJ on 3/10/05 at 15:13 (170895)

So Ray do you think that the surgery worked for you? Or at lease partially worked because it's only 50%? Or do you think that it is still too early to decide?

ray on 3/11/05 at 22:23 (170991)

i have talked over and over to dr z and dr ed on this site they told me over and over 6 mo to a year for foot to fully heal from open p.f. surgery im 45 so it does take a little longer than a trim 20 year old now i just started p.t. and i only had one visit with 50% improvement i still have 8 more visits the therapist said i have very little scare tissue bur at 2 and 4 mo i had stot to breck up scare tissue at 3 mo i had a nct nerve conduction test with perfect resuits i had a tingaling and when i taped on the incision i go an shooting sharp pain to my big toe now its gone i do go hiking in mountains one hour sat one hour sun massage incision with vid e then ice but for now try to rest ft

ray on 3/12/05 at 11:13 (171012)

my doc told me 3 weeks to get back to nomal healind depends on age weight and lenth of time of injury scare tissue nerve entrapment swelling theirs small viens that get cut the sooner you get back on that foot the longer it takes to heal im at 9 mo be realistics

Rose on 3/12/05 at 11:59 (171017)

I had the open releae surgery 21 months ago and just this month it has started to feel almost normal again. It hurt for over a year and a half and I could harldy walk. It was a forced rest of 6 weeks in bed the first of this year that did it....a blessing in disgise. So in my case, complete resting of the foot, no weight bearing at all afer a year and a half did it. So each is an individual.

Re: EPF surgery to rose

ray on 3/12/05 at 12:31 (171023)

god bless you 21 mo and now your surgery is paying off just like you said were all different its better to be stright than to give false hope

Terri on 3/14/05 at 15:25 (171186)

Were you able to go to work at all in those 6 weeks? Household chores, ect.?