Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Running and orthotics

Posted by Tina H on 3/10/05 at 13:39 (170881)

We just got my 14 year old's orthotics and track season is starting up. Question, I assumed that she would be wearing these for running(providing the pf pain is eliminated) and a sport model was requested, however when we went for the fitting we were told that she could wear them for running but that most runners did not actually wear them running just for support the rest of the day???
Do any runners who post here wear them for running? Do you remove the regular insoles or put them on top? Thanks for any suggestions you might have. Tina H

Re: Running and orthotics

Richard, C.Ped on 3/10/05 at 15:02 (170889)

It depends on the actual running sport. Normally, orthotics will not fit in running spikes. If you are talking distance running or anything that does not require spikes, then it should be ok.

We see many runners who do wear them while running. Those with spikes change shoes to the ones with the orthosis after their event.

Remove the regular insoles and do not put them back in.

Tina H on 3/10/05 at 16:28 (170902)

Thanks Richard, you are so helpful! Yes, he did tell us they don't work in spikes but she runs distance anyway so it's not really necessary especially at her level. She will also need to find a turf shoe and a soccer type spike for grass fields in the fall for field hockey. Do you have any suggestions on brands that work best for fitting the orthotic inside? Thanks again! Tina H

Richard, C.Ped on 3/11/05 at 08:01 (170933)

We have had excellent success with fitting orthotics to cleats. It is hard with soccer players because (from my experience) they tend to wear their shoes smaller to get a very snug fit. The orthosis has to be made pretty much just for that shoe. I think it would still work fine with the other shoes as well. This is why I use EVA. It is very easy to fit to other shoes -vs- hard plastic.

As for brands, we have made orthotics for most major brands. It comes down to what she likes. Brooks has an excellent line of spikes.

Tina H on 3/13/05 at 16:49 (171123)

Richard, I took my daughter for a fitting for running shoes at a store wear that specializes in only that, and they know how to fit orthotics in shoes. They couln't believe my daugher's orthotics. They said they were the highest arched orthotics that they had ever seen. Great! Said thing is that they do match her arch perfectly. Running with the orthotics in her shoes is not very comfortable so we opted for full length, softer inserts that have a pretty decent support, called 'Sole, custom footbeds' that are heat moldable. Although they told us not to mold them for her foot because her arch is so high that they were fine as they were. What do you think of these inserts? I ended up buying a pair for myself because the go the whole length of the shoe. For me, they feel similar to powersteps. Thanks, Tina

Re: Price for orthotics for spikes

Tina H on 3/13/05 at 16:55 (171124)

Richard, would you tell me how much you charge for making the EVA orthotics to go into spikes? If you don't want to post it here, please send me an email at (email removed). Also, if I got someone locally to plaster cast her foot, and sent you the casts and spikes, could you do it without seeing my daughter? Could these same orthotics be used in turf shoes, as some games are on turf? Are the EVA orthotics you make, the length of the whole shoe? Thanks, Tina

Re: Woops sorry, I meant Cleats not spikes

Tina H on 3/13/05 at 16:56 (171125)

Richard, I meant orthotics for soccer cleats.

Re: Price for orthotics for spikes

Richard, C.Ped on 3/14/05 at 08:12 (171158)

Ill email you the price. All of our orthotics are full length. My personal experience tells me that it is more comfortable to have the EVA extend under the toes. Same orthotics can be used in turf.
Your email is on the way.