Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Vaccum Cleaners

Posted by john h on 3/12/05 at 13:15 (171030)

As most of you know I am what is known as a 'whipped' husband in that I do most of the housework. I am searching for a new vac or as they say in England something to 'hoover with'. I have an older Oreck which only weighs 8 lbs and after looking at some of these 20 lb road hogs I am tempted to go with the new Oreck for weight alone as it still only weighs 8 lbs. What say you ladies or other 'whipped' men that might be out there. Richard sounds like one to me.

Re: Vaccum Cleaners

Julie on 3/12/05 at 13:24 (171034)

John, my whipped (but willing) husband is very happy with our top-of-the-range Miele 'hoover'.

Funny how 'hoover' became generic.

marie on 3/12/05 at 15:45 (171039)

My whipped husbend still likes his hoover but got a reconditioned Sanitaire and it seems to be very good. It's a commercial vacuum so I'm not sure were you can get one. In this old house we have a vaccum on every floor.

So if my husband is whipped because he vaccums the house..........then what was I before he took over the job? Oh yeah sick all the time because I'm allergic to dust. Every women's dream allergy. ;)

best wishes marie

Carole C in NOLA on 3/12/05 at 16:41 (171045)

John, I have a Hoover Windtunnel. As far as suction goes, it's great. And I love the fact that it has a little 'headlight' on the front, which makes it easier to see stuff I might otherwise miss. But it is sure heavy!

My friend Frank got a much lighter, portable model (also Hoover) and in a way, I think it was a better choice.

When I vacuum, I get everything. NOTHING escapes my Windtunnel.

But with a lighter model vacuum, I think I might do it more often! I say, go for the lighter model, and if necessary keep the lights turned down so you won't notice what it misses.

Carole C

Tina H on 3/12/05 at 21:25 (171066)

John, I did a lot of research last year and bought a miele (German) canister vacum cleaner. It has a hepa filter option, which I do not find necessary. It's a great vacum cleaner, but it's too small for a large house. The bags which are reasonably priced fill up fast. I have to change it at least once a month, although we do have two cats.

Kathy G on 3/13/05 at 09:28 (171087)

John,

I got a new Oreck on eBay about six months ago and I'm glad I stuck with it. It's my third. I gave my children the other two. The new ones have added filtration and I got the one with the headlight, like Carole mentioned. To tell you the truth, I don't see much difference with or without the light.

I have dust allergies and I couldn't even consider one of the machines that you have to empty. I sneeze when I empty my Dustbuster!

I love how light the Oreck is and so far, it's served me well. I never had the others serviced although I told my daughter she should get the one I gave her a tuneup.

john h on 3/13/05 at 11:26 (171101)

Kathy I ended up ordering the new model 21 from e-bay. Over $200 less than in the Oreck store, no sales tax and it is new. Once you get used to that 8 lb model it is hard to shift to a 20 lb brand. This will also be my third Oreck. I gave my last one to my daughter who still has it and just sold my current one on ebay yesterday for $130. They do retain value. There is not much you can do in the way of a tuneup except change the belt which takes about 5 minutes. The motor is sealed. I guess you could buy a new bag as he new ones do not allow any dust to filter out if any escapes the paper bag. If dust bothers you I am sure you use the dust free bags. They have a little flap that falls over the opening where the contents enter when you pull the bag off no dust flys around. I tried the one in the Oreck store and the 6500 RPM brush pulled it much like a self propelled model. At 8 lbs it is just to easy to use. Over priced but it is worth while when you get a new one off of ebay. Wonder where those come from? I bet a lot of stolen merchandise by the trukload appear on ebay. Of course when you register it with the serial number it should show up as stolen. Could be that they come from Oreck who repackages them (returns as you have 30 days) and then Oreck wholesales them out to dealers?? The last one I bought on ebay was new right out of the box. A few years ago the Oreck family got into some big lawsuits over the family business when one of them died. I bet they are worth a few pesos. Never did hear how it was settled.

john k on 3/13/05 at 16:32 (171118)

I have an older Royal. It's nice. Uses bags. Kinda pricey, but got it used.

JudyS on 3/13/05 at 17:43 (171130)

Hey John - does the Oreck convert to its handtools easily?

john h on 3/13/05 at 18:55 (171134)

I know you are pulling my leg Judy as the Oreck has no handtools. When you buy one at retail they do give you a really great portable vacuum that has a strap you can hang on your shoulder. It has tools.

JudyS on 3/13/05 at 19:37 (171138)

I would never pull your leg John dear!
But....if the vac has no handtools, what do you vacuum furniture, drapes, cars, etc. with?

Richard, C.Ped on 3/14/05 at 08:01 (171156)

I don't think we are 'whipped'. We just know how to treat our ladies and are not afraid to help them out around the house.

We have the Oreck XL and I think it works the best out of all the machines we have had. I would buy another one before anything else.

John H on 3/15/05 at 10:49 (171223)

Judy: actually the Oreck does come with hand tools. They are called 'John'. I am not really in to dusting drapes anyway. In fact I hate dusting. I do windows however.

Kathy G on 3/16/05 at 08:37 (171287)

Judy,

I use the little machine they gave me with my first Oreck to do my drapes, the edges of my carpets that the upright doesn't reach, etc. It's a pretty powerful little machine. The new Orecks get pretty close to the edges but I still like to do them every six months or so. I don't want to go wild and crazy and do them too often!

John H on 3/16/05 at 12:16 (171313)

Kathy: that little vacuum that comes with the Oreck is super powerful. Maybe the strongest hand vacuum I have ever used. It could suck your wig off in a NY second. I also use it in the car on a regular basis. Do not use it on my cat. My cat likes to curl up in the sink when I am shaving with an electric razor and loves to have the vibrating razor stroked on his back.