Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by sak on 3/13/05 at 00:48 (171075)

Hi! I have had foot pain for years. Turns out I had a neuroma on right foot. That probably caused me to adjust my walk. Then the right heel tingled. So I put in a heel pad. Then it got worse. So I would take time off work, work 2 rest 1. Then had cortisone in neuroma, and both heels with 1 month disablity. Then returned to work(construction) and neuroma was so bad it had to be removed. Feet elevated 3 weeks, 3 weeks rest. At that time I went for disability releaase and had anothe cort in right heel. Work 6 months and then took 2 months off. Back to work 2 weeks and had fam practice dr shoot right heel again(5 or 6 in 18 months)total. That worked for a week. Then it got so inflamed it was visible and went to get disability again. Now I'm using, night splint, ultrasound, ice 5 x a day. Have taken Naproxen 500 mg 2 x a day right after neuroma removal in may 04 until GI problems developed. Also had custom orthotics made before that but the heel pressed a nerve??? and stopped using them. I had an extremely high arch but now 1 has fallen. I was told surgery was next option. It has really gotten bad as I am usually active. 8 hours construction then 1 hour or so of gym(weights and cardio). I joined US Marines at age 26 so I know I'm not lazy. No real questions, pplease post if you feel it might help me. I'm glad I found this site as I am not alone. Drs. thanks for posting your opinions as I know you could be doing other things. Take care, Scott

Re: pf

Mike W on 3/13/05 at 10:57 (171099)

Hello Scott,

Sorry to hear of your foot problems.

Before you try surgery you should try to address the underlying cause.

The underlying cause of PF is tight flexor toe/foot/lower leg muscles that place stress at the point of attachement usually to the heal area.

What you should do is try to relax these muscles.

If you want to learn how to do this please go to my website http://www.foottrainer.com and click plantar fasciitis. You should also click incorrect exercises so you will learn what ones not to do.

I hope this helps you.

Mike W

Marilyn on 3/15/05 at 21:20 (171267)

Hey Scott,

I feel your pain, or at least I did. Tomorrow I am 4 weeks post PF surgery. I was treated for Neuromas in both my feet and then started treatment for PF. I iced, I stretched, I got shots, I did everything I was told, and that was recommended. I am still paying for alot of wasted advice. I almost did not have surgery because of all the negativity about surgery in these message boards. I then noticed that the people who are having so much post surgery problem, had their surgeries a very long time ago. I was forced because of insurance reasons to switch doctors in the beginning of 05. That was scary to me, because my original doctor treated me for more than a year for my feet problems.

The doctor I saw Post 05 knew so much more about my PF and how to treat it, it was amazing. He was also about 20 years younger than my other doctor. I assumed that the older doctor would know more about my problems than the younger one, but I was the one that was wrong. My current doctor in just 2 months gave me more information, and background on PF than the whole time I was with the previous doctor.

I just wanted you to know that there are success PF surgery stories out here. I am in my regular shoes, no crutches, no walking boot, Orthodics all the time is a must so my arch does not fall. I am feeling fantastic. I am exercising on my life cycle to regain the muscle in my left leg, as it is still weak from no weight on it for 3 weeks. I have no more pain like I did pre surgery.

Maybe get more opinions in regards to your problems. I am glad everyday, that my current doctor came into my life. If you have any other questions for me, please feel free to let me know. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Best Of Luck To You,

sak on 3/19/05 at 13:55 (171581)

Wow, that was encouraging. Did a ortopedic surgeonn do the pf surgery or a podiatrist? was it EPF or reg? It's funny in my case because with NO activity, standing 5 minutes per hour there is little pain. But start standing, walking, weight bearing stretches and here comes the swelling and it's quite visible. Also my chosen occupation is or was construction. I enjoyed being physically active as much as possible, but now I'm very sedentary. Even if it took a year to get better and I could go back to my active lifestyle I would do it. The neuroma was more painful than my PF, but the neuroma was only really bad 10% of the time. The PF is always there. So glad for you and others for your contributions and success...

Re: To Scott

Marilyn on 3/20/05 at 14:35 (171628)

Hi Again, My doctor is a regular podiatrist, and I had the open surgery. Where there is an incision made in the bottom part of the arch on the bottom of the foot, and the fascia is cut. The recovery time I am told is longer than the EPF surgery, but there is less chance that any more surgery will need to be done in the future with this one. I also have a huge heel spur on this foot, which was not touched. My recovery is going well. I am just trying to work on the joints in my leg. Prior to surgery, I was limping, wearing a walking boot, etc, and my left leg in the joints near my groin became so sore, I guess due to favoring the leg and foot. I am still having that pain, so thats what my concern is now. I may try and go to Physical Therapy before I go back to work. I hope you can find relief soon. I don't have the foot pain anymore that I did pre surgery. Good Luck to you,

Andrew A on 4/16/05 at 15:01 (173306)

who is your doctor and where is he located at.