Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Q for Richard, C.Ped

Posted by elliott on 3/14/05 at 08:31 (171161)

Richard,

I now have one medium-high-arched foot due to a recent foot reconstruction and one flat overpronated foot inherited from my father. Can you offer any advice on what kinds of shoes will work for me when I start walking again, and what if anything I should do about orthotics? Thanks.

elliott

{}

Re: Q for Richard, C.Ped

Richard, C.Ped on 3/14/05 at 09:34 (171165)

It might be that since the shape of each foot is different, the length may have a difference as well. If so, fit the larger foot, not the smaller (as if you didnt know that already ;-) )

As for orthotics, if the impression is taken correctly, each foot will have the proper support that is needed. If your current pair of orthotics were made before the surgery, I would really suggest having another pair made since there were significant changes.

elliott on 3/14/05 at 09:51 (171167)

Richard, thanks for the response. I have a few followup questions, if I may.

Regarding shoes, yes, my reconstructed foot is slightly shorter lengthwise now due to the arch, but that's not what I mean. I mean that most shoes can be classified as being more for feet with a neutral or supinated gait, whereas others are more for flatter pronating feet. I am guessing my new foot will lean more towards the first kind of shoe, my old foot the second kind. And please don't suggest mismatched shoes. :-)

As for orthotics, I realize I'd need a new one at least for my new foot. But I am wondering:

1) Is it is better to get a new one for this foot or would none at all be better?
2) Would an orthotic for the new foot be the same kind as I currently have (hard thin graphite with a cushioned top layer) or some other type?
3) How soon after starting to walk should I get it?
4) Finally, there's a rule of thumb that once you reach a certain age it's less likely your foot will change much to need a new orthotic. Should I expect my new foot to change (e.g., the arch to flatten) over time since it is 'new', possibly necessitating a new orthotic shortly after the other one is ordered? Thanks.

Richard, C.Ped on 3/14/05 at 10:41 (171170)

For shoes, perhaps a good neutral type shoe. I think that should work fine.

For the orthotic questions:

1) Is it is better to get a new one for this foot or would none at all be better?

It is hard to say since I have not actually examined your foot. I personally think that it is better to have support than none at all.

2) Would an orthotic for the new foot be the same kind as I currently have (hard thin graphite with a cushioned top layer) or some other type?

Again, it is hard to say. If you like the carbon graphite, then stick with it.

3) How soon after starting to walk should I get it?

I would get the new ones today or ASAP.

4) Finally, there's a rule of thumb that once you reach a certain age it's less likely your foot will change much to need a new orthotic. Should I expect my new foot to change (e.g., the arch to flatten) over time since it is 'new', possibly necessitating a new orthotic shortly after the other one is ordered? Thanks.

We have many elderly that come back annually for new orthotics. Their insurance pays, so they take advantage of it. The foot could change as we get older. Fat pad breaks down and the arches weaken. As for new casts, I will take a new impression every two years.

I would go with the new orthosis, and if anything feels like it is changing, then have a new cast made.

Hope that helps.

elliott on 3/14/05 at 13:28 (171183)

Richard, thanks for the detailed response. Just two more things to say:

My remaining flat foot has always found neutral shoes too unbalanced and unsupportive.

A shame my new foot should need an orthotic right after it was re-built.

{}

Richard, C.Ped on 3/14/05 at 13:46 (171184)

If you find the shoes feel that way, you might get away with what you are used to wearing.

Terri on 3/21/05 at 13:41 (171702)

I have a flat foot too and the only shoes that feel okay is $125.00 New Balance Running shoes. My foot is killing me!