Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A couple of songs I like

Posted by marie on 3/14/05 at 20:44 (171203)

America by Ray Charles

Amazing Grace by the U.S. navy Band

Re: A couple of songs I like

marie on 3/14/05 at 20:52 (171204)

And for the Hendrix fans

John H on 3/15/05 at 10:51 (171224)

How about Janis Joplin and 'Mercedes Benz' or 'Move Over'?

marie on 3/15/05 at 15:23 (171247)

I am looking for those.......when I find them I will post.

Re: Mercedes Benz

marie on 3/15/05 at 16:17 (171253)

john h on 3/15/05 at 21:23 (171268)

You da woman Marie. The version I remember had some background music. Bet not many remember that oldeeeee.

Re: The Eagles

Kathy G on 3/16/05 at 08:58 (171291)

This is a perfect place to mention that we are going to see the Eagles in Providence this weekend. For Christmas, our children chipped in and bought us not only tickets for the concert but a hotel room as well! I told them it was way too much to have spent and my son said to take advantage of it because they're buying a house in April and after that, they won't have any money at all! As for my daughter, she didn't have enough money then and she still doesn't but what a nice gift.

When my daughter-in-law was in Bangkok on business, her boss, who's about fifty-eight, invited her to go see them with him and a couple who used to know her parents who are now living in Thailand. She wasn't a huge Eagles fan but she figured she'd go. She was blown away by their three-hour concert.

When she was telling me about it, I said that there were only two groups I regretted never having see in person. The first was Crosby, Still and Nash and the second was the Eagles. I said I wouldn't go to see the former now because they'd lost their voices and I couldn't bring myself to pay the outrageous prices for the Eagles tickets even though they still sound good.

She's obviously one of those thoughtful people who listen because my daughter said when it came time to buy Christmas presents, my daughter-in-law told them what I'd said and that the Eagles were coming to Providence.

I'm really excited. I've been checking their website and their setlist is really good - and they're still playing for three hours. It's supposed to be in the low forties and mostly sunny and no storms in sight so it should be a pleasant trip.

Re: Hendrix

Kathy G on 3/16/05 at 09:11 (171292)

Do you remember how blown away people were by Hendrix playing the Star Spangled Banner that way? My parents were pretty liberal and while I don't think they really quite understood the whole Woodstock thing, they didn't think it was disrespectful. Some of my friends' parents thought Hendrix was disgraceful.

Now look at the way they sing the song! Soul, Country, Punk, Jazz versions........our generation started the whole thing! And we somehow combined our music with our politics. I sit and wonder what's wrong with college kids today. They're so much less involved and complacent than we were. Maybe it's because there's no draft (No, I'm not starting a political discussion.) or maybe it's because there are only so many changes that can be made over a thirty year period. But still, although they were turbulent times, they were great times! And although I wouldn't have wanted to be in all that mud and crowd (my being so claustrophobic), I still thought Woodstock was an amazing event.

Richard, C.Ped on 3/16/05 at 09:17 (171293)

As a guitar player, I often wonder what Hendrix could have accomplished if he was still around. I was never really into his stuff, but he was a genius at what he did though.

John H on 3/16/05 at 11:51 (171309)

Richard: His brain would have been fried by now.

Richard, C.Ped on 3/16/05 at 11:53 (171310)

What a waste.

John H on 3/16/05 at 12:32 (171315)

I spent a couple of nights in Height Ashbury district of SF in August 1968 on my way to Vietnam. What a place. One had to experience that place to believe it. I thought I had died and gone to hell. Made the bar scene and side walk cafes and a lot of other stuff. Sort of like another world. Got to say I did like a lot of the music out of the 60's and especially Motown. Never was in to concerts. Bet Richard was. He probably had the Jimmy Hendrix look. You could not fly and have long hair, beard, etc as you had to wear an oxygen mask so I could never look cool. I did drive a VW bug however which is about as cool as I could be.

One day I was flying as a passenger in a C-47 gooney bird from Saigon up to the DMZ. That was really a very very dangerous place in 1968. On the plane with me was a movie/tv star who's name I cannot remember. He played tarzan and perhaps jungle Jim. He was by himself with no cameras and was just going up to this god for saken place to say hello to the troops. A really nice guy who was really taking a risk by just getting on this aircraft. Never read about it as he was not there for publicity. Saw Bob Hope and his crew 1n 1968 and again in some year after that. He was all over the place.

Richard, C.Ped on 3/16/05 at 13:48 (171322)

Close, but I am an 80's kid. I did have hair down to the middle of my back at one time. Never used spandex or leather pants though. Jeans and t-shirts all the way.

I am very 'concerted' out (if that is a word at all). If I remember correctly, Sha Na Na was my first concert. I think I was 8 or so. I went down to the front of the stage and when I raised my camera, Bowzer saw me, ran over, and did his muscle flex pose for me.

Then it was on to Pat Benetar, AC/DC, Iron Maiden (3 times), Ozzy (worst performer ever), Kiss (second worst performance ever), and the heavy metal list goes on.

Cooler shows were Don Henley, James Taylor, Brooks and Dunn (they opened for Reba who I thought was just depressing...haha).

Going to concerts now is like going to a college football game. I have fun for about an hour, then I am ready to go.

Re: Hotel California to get ya' in the MOOD!

marie on 3/16/05 at 15:54 (171329)

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96781308/K=the+eagles/v=2/SID=e/l=VDP/SIG =12d92mvvn/EXP=1107830831/*-http%3A// les.asf

I love this video. If you like guitar you'll enjoy this.

Kathy G on 3/16/05 at 16:00 (171332)

Hendrix wasn't a favorite of mine, either, Richard. I think he caught on because his sound was so unusual. My favorite of all time is Eric Clapton but I don't like the real bluesy stuff he plays now. But, man, no one can play a guitar like him. I saw BB King in 1969 and I found him to play too much of that type of music, too. Now there's an amazing man. One of my daughter's friends went to see him in Boston recently and wasn't aware that he was in his seventies.

People around here are getting revved up about a possible Rolling Stones concert at Fenway Park. Last year, Jimmy Buffett played there. I wouldn't go to see the Stones. I like some of their music but I'm just not a Stones fan. But Keith Richards is proof that some people can do heavy duty drugs and still survive. Of course, he looks like he's done heavy drugs!

When my son was a baby, his favorite show was the show that Sha-Na-Na had. His favorite was Bowser. They were really good. Of course, my son also liked the Bobby Vinton Show. He used to sing his own version of the Polish part of Melody of Love.

Re: Hotel California to get ya' in the MOOD!

marie on 3/16/05 at 16:17 (171335)

Ok that's what happens when ya copy and paste from another message board. If this link doesn't work just copy and paste it into the url box.

It takes a while to load but it's worth the wait. Joe Walsh on guitar. another one of my favorites. I saw the Eagles the night before they won Best Band of The year. They were with Dan Fogelberg who won best new artist of the year. They were all in a very upbeat mood and the concert was primo.

JudyS on 3/16/05 at 23:10 (171367)

Now hold on there John dear - it's not THAT old!

JudyS on 3/16/05 at 23:14 (171368)

Kathy I'm so envious that you get to (a) see the Eagles and (b) go to Providence to do it!
Ever since that program Providence was on TV I've had a desire to go there and see if it's as quaint as pictured.

JudyS on 3/16/05 at 23:20 (171369)

Kathy I saw BB King in '69 also. He was playing in a church in my home town in Michigan.

We went to see the Stones about a year or so ago. I've never really enjoyed their music but I figured that, as a Boomer, I owed it to my generation to go see them at least once!

However, we paid a zillion dollars for seats that were about a half a mile from the stage and, as Richard says, after the first half hour or so I was bored!

Richard, C.Ped on 3/17/05 at 09:28 (171389)

Clapton and BB are among the best, even thought that is really not my type of music. I can, however, appreciate their playing. Of course, the root of hard rock and even heavy metal comes from the blues. You can play most lead guitar solos from about two or three common blues scales.

I never really did like the Stones. To me, they seem 'sloppy' in their playing. They never sounded like a tight band. I have heard less successful bands have a tighter sound.

Other bands that were are/were popular that I did not like are Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin. I only like about three songs each from them. I guess it was just not my generation.

I am from the South, but never really cared for Southern Rock. The exception is Molly Hatched (R.I.P. Danny Joe Brown).

Kathy G on 3/17/05 at 15:19 (171430)

You didn't even like Lynyrd Skynrd? I love them! I love the name of their greatest hits album, 'Skynrds'Innards!'

Richard, C.Ped on 3/17/05 at 15:39 (171433)

I can think of three songs by Skynrd that I like. Thats about it. I am an 80's early 90's metal head...haha.

Re: Richard let me guess.........

marie on 3/17/05 at 17:39 (171447)

Let me guess.........Def Leopard, Poison, Motley Crue, Great White, Quiet Riot, Scorpions, Twisted Sister, Cinderella, Van Halen, and ACDC............love 'All Night Long'.

Am I close? :)

john h on 3/17/05 at 21:58 (171464)

Richard I am getting a new picture of you in my mind from reading your post. Do you wear tight lepord pants and a black t-shirt? Before I pictured you with a small beard and a white frock singing 'Go Down Moses'. You need to post a picture to clear my mind.

Richard, C.Ped on 3/18/05 at 12:01 (171495)

Close Marie...but it is 'Def Leppard' haha.

I like other things too..but that was my favorite. Easy songs to learn on the guitar. Chicks dig the guitar. haha

Richard, C.Ped on 3/18/05 at 12:03 (171496)

hahahahahaha! Not at all John. I was totally jeans and t-shirts. I did know a few that wore the spandex pants. Ewwwwwww.
Picture may come one of these days.

marie on 3/18/05 at 15:16 (171518)

I always mispell their band name.......I'm just not one of those trendy name spellers.

Dr. Z on 3/19/05 at 13:34 (171578)

He was a classical guitor player from I remember. He was one of my favorite