Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Aloha

Posted by Dorothy on 3/16/05 at 16:04 (171334)

So many of you were so kind and encouraging about my planned trip to Hawaii about which I had so much fear and trepidation that I feel I owe you some feedback about the trip. We went and are just back and I'm still in a state of shock and jetlag! Believe me, your words and suggestions were with me and on my mind quite often and they helped tremendously. It was wonderful and while not trouble-free, it was overall a joy. I love the ocean so much and cannot get enough of it. We were on O'ahu and ohmygoodness, the ocean….magnificent. It rained some, winds blew hard sometimes, but mostly it was sunny. We walked a lot, stood and waited a lot, rode on some jostling conveyances, and of course had a very long airplane trip (~8 hours) – but swimming in that ocean compensated for anything else. Usually by the end of time away, we are ready and anxious to get back home – but in contrast, on our last day there, we were sad to be leaving. To the dear foot people here: Thank you so much for your encouragement and the information provided to me while I fretted and worried about what must have seemed to be very silly anxiety – especially to people facing real worries, like surgery or other issues. Your advice and suggestions were so very good. I thought I was being ultra-careful, but I still got a nasty sunburn and am shedding skin like a human snowstorm (yuck!!) but it's a small price to pay to visit that ocean and feel that sunshine. We met many wonderful people – and just had a very sweet time. It's already becoming a treasured memory – and I am happy to say: I did it! My feet and back and all parts cooperated fairly well – manageable complaints for the most part. My first beach there was one with lots of sharp rocks and coral and that was a big challenge. Other beaches were softer. The water was soft and warm with colors that one could just stare at for hours on end.Sunrises and sunsets: breathtaking. We saw the most beautiful rainbow in the mountains with the densest Roy G. Biv that I have ever seen in my life. That place – it really is a kind of paradise, isn't it… I feel like a disoriented duck out of water now – from the warm Pacific to the cold and snow, all with an ugly sunburn that seems out of place and time. There were 30-35 foot faces on the surf on the north shore one day!

Upon returning and after getting some sleep, I checked in here and began catching up. I was dismayed to see that again there was Dorothy-animosity while I was gone. I think the fault must be in myself and not in the stars....and so will look to reform.

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you good Travel Agents and Adventure Counselors out there in Foot-land. I felt you with me in many ways – just as Carole C and Suzanne D said recently and so accurately. Your feet may be unpredictable, but your hearts are so good and your heads so wise. And 'if I were a rich man…' I would buy an estate there and a big private plane and would send us all there for R & R whenever needed. I'm not a rich man so …. let's all just open a can of Dole pineapple and imagine….

Mahola (thank you) and aloha (hello, goodbye, love, best wishes….)

Re: Aloha

marie on 3/16/05 at 16:45 (171339)

I bet it was absolutely wonderful. I will never be able to afford such a trip. So I have to live through your experiences. So glad you went. I suspected you were off having the time of your life and you were.

best wishes marie

Suzanne D. on 3/16/05 at 16:53 (171340)

Oh, how wonderful, Dorothy! I am so very glad you were able to take the trip and that everything went well. I am extremely happy for you.

Thank you for writing to tell us about it. It is good to hear from you again.

Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 3/16/05 at 17:35 (171345)

Dorothy, what a triumph! I'm so glad that you went, and that it was such a good vacation for you. :)

Carole C

Re: Aloha..the ocean

LindaV on 3/16/05 at 18:45 (171353)

Glad you had a nice trip. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be born and bred and live somewhere you never get to experience the awe of an ocean. And yet, I am sure there are many people who live their entire lives and never see the pounding surf, the comings and goings of the tide, or vast immenseness of it all. I feel very lucky to have had this opportunity most of my life. Indeed, if I were to live somewhere 'land-locked'..I think I would feel claustrophobic.

JudyS on 3/16/05 at 23:24 (171370)

Good for you Dorothy! I'm so happy for you that you were able to take advantage of the trip and enjoy every minute of it. Hawaii really is an amazingly lovely place.

Kathy G on 3/18/05 at 09:26 (171482)

Dorothy, I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time! I've always been sorry I didn't go to Hawaii when I was younger but maybe someday. And I'm very happy your feet and back behaved! :)