Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question about soles of shoes?

Posted by Mike M. on 3/17/05 at 13:05 (171415)

Richard, I had a piece of rubber put on the bottom of my shoes so that they rock forward when i walk- it really helps with hallicus limitus but after the second day of wearing them my back muscles hurt and i have a bad headache from wearing them, my guestion is could the rubber piece be to thick? Are there different thicknesses for these these pieces and if you have made this repair how thick of a piece would you use?

Re: Question about soles of shoes?

Richard, C.Ped on 3/17/05 at 13:52 (171421)

Usually, when we modify a shoe to have a significant rocker sole, we take off the sole and grind the rocker into the forefoot of the shoe (if current shoe material will allow). If we add rocker, sometimes we use a 1/4' of EVA or so, nothing to severe.

I suggest going back and letting the person know and see what they think. One may be higher than the other which will create a 'shorter leg' and throw everything off. It is hard to tell, but do go back and let them know.