Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Walking Cast?

Posted by Shannon S on 3/18/05 at 09:03 (171480)

My podiatrist has suggested EPF to me, but I don't want to do that just yet. I have a second opinion scheduled for Monday, and I'm planning to ask about the use of a walking cast.

Do I need a podiatrist to put me in a walking cast, or would I be able to buy one and do it myself? I'll be meeting my 3rd podiatrist on Monday and I've found the others to be less than receptive to new ideas. If no one is willing to help, can I just order it online and do it myself, or is that a bad idea?

Thanks,
Shannon

Re: Walking Cast?

Terri on 3/18/05 at 14:15 (171511)

The orthopeadic doctor that I saw thought unless it was a hard cast - non removable it was a waste of time. But then another PF suffer posted the other day that he wore a removable one for 8 weeks and had good results. If it were me I would try to find a doctor that was open to the idea. After being in a cast for 6-8 weeks your leg muscels might start to get kind of weak. I wore a removable cast after ESTW for 4 weeks ( my foot really hurt after it ) and the opposite foot started to hurt.