Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How I view these Boards - not that you asked!

Posted by Kathy G on 3/18/05 at 09:56 (171487)

I only skimmed the posts below and I didn't read any of them previously when the misunderstandings took place. When things turn ugly, I tend to just ignore it. We had one unfortunate time when Scott actually had to take the boards down because discussion became so divisive.

I think that we have diverse personalities here on the Boards. That's what makes them so interesting. We all have one thing in common; foot pain. We've seen how a malady that is misunderstood by the general public can totally change one's life. We attempt to support and encourage each other. We've been pleasantly surprised to discover that we've become friends. We belong to a fraternity we didn't voluntarily join but we come back because we like the people here and we like to help new posters in the same way we were helped when we first arrived.

Over the years, there have been misunderstandings. If any group, there are going to be people who don't get along. They usually just nod to each other, make general conversation, and go their merry ways. The problem here is that what we say is simply written. There are no real diaglogues in which you can see another's body language or facial expression. Meanings get distorted. And nothing you say can be retracted.

My mother always told me to never put anything down in writing that I wouldn't mind having read to the world. It was good advice. On these boards, I think some people don't necessarily follow it because of the relative anonymity of the internet. Feelings get inadvertenty hurt.

There will always be a few posters who post outrageous, hurtful posts to see if they can get a rise out of people. After a while, they disappear because they were only here to cause trouble and when they see that they're being ignored by the majority, they disappear.

We need to take into consideration, too, that many of our posters are in pain and are going through a difficult period of adjustment. Some of us have had to leave our jobs and have seen some drastic changes in our lives. We all try to be compassionate and understanding and realize that we aren't seeing someone at their best, especially when they first start posting. After all, if they were feeling wonderful, they wouldn't be here in the first place.

So, in the interest of peace and harmony, why don't we just let it all go and begin anew? Agree to disagree and put it all behind us and continue to keep the Boards the positive refuge they have been for so many years.

Re: How I view these Boards - not that you asked! and the typos are a bonus!

Kathy G on 3/18/05 at 09:59 (171488)

:D

Re: How I view these Boards - not that you asked!

Julie on 3/18/05 at 15:14 (171516)

What a good post, Kathy. It's so helpful to be reminded of all these things, and I think you've restored a sense of proportion to these boards as well as a sense of what they're really all about.

Thanks!

Re: How I view these Boards - not that you asked!

marie on 3/18/05 at 21:37 (171539)

Sounds good to me. :)

Re: Kathy

wendyn on 3/22/05 at 22:36 (171804)

Actually, it reminds me a lot of a soap opera.

One could go away for months or even years and then return to find the same old, same old interpersonal conflicts.

When I first came on the board there was a huge rift between the proponents of the low-carb/no-carb diet and those who didn't support the diet cure for PF. At that time, I think we lost almost half the people off the board. It was much smaller then. Only one board too. Not an extra one for each topic.

Scott finally got annoyed with all the posts like this one from me, so he put up a social board for the serious people to ignore.

Re: Kathy

Kathy G on 3/25/05 at 09:36 (171947)

How interesting, Wendy. That was before my time, as they say. Yes, a sociology major would have a field day with a board like this! And I always take everyone seriously. :) You know how serious I tend to be about everything! :D