Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by Terri on 3/21/05 at 09:46 (171667)

I read many of you swim for exercise and am wondering if anyone else had a problem with stepping down on the concret making your foot hurt? Just stepping down for 2 seconds made my foot hurt like heck for days !! I just bought a pair of thick aqua shoes and am going to take an old pair of orthotics and put those in and try it again.

Re: Swimming

Cyndi on 3/21/05 at 11:55 (171688)

I can also feel the concrete in the pool floor even, but, I just go with it. I do pool walking and go to an arthritis class just for exercise. Since I have sat around so much this last year, I need some as I used to walk my dogs alot. I cannot even wear the pool shoes, but, I do wear flip flops to the pool steps and leave them there, They have a very soft footsole walking on the concrete.
Good luck!

Buck T. on 3/21/05 at 12:24 (171693)

Hi Terri: Don't ever, never, ever walk bare footed around pool. I wear a rubber sandal, sort of a flip flop, with a good rubber arch support. I wear it into the pool, and remove it there. I wear them back to dressing room and take shower in them. Sit on bench to dry off and put shoes with orthotics back on before standing up. Feet never touch concrete and it's a natural routine.

Sincerely, Buck T.

marie on 3/21/05 at 15:40 (171717)

I swim in a lake which helps.....but I usually take a float in a lake or pool. As soon as I hit the water I float so I never put my feet on the bottom of the pool. I thought as long as I was swimming around a bit it helped.

Geri on 3/21/05 at 18:06 (171737)

I cannot stand touching the bottom of the pool also, nor can I wear the water tennis shoes I have. I walk down the steps into the pool with pool sandals that have an arch support with a swim belt on. I remove the sandals before I shove off the steps and I start my water walking. I do all of it in the deep water-my feet never touch the pool bottom. I follow along with the people in the shallow end doing their water aerobics. Some of the things they do are difficult but I improvise. The nice thing is I'm a part of a group exercising, and best of all I'm moving and having some fun to boot. If I did not go to the class I know I would never do it myself.

Re: Swimming/Water shoes?

Terri on 3/22/05 at 10:53 (171758)

Some have replied they can't wear their water shoes in the pool. Are they uncomfortable or they are not allowed in the pool?

Geri on 3/22/05 at 14:07 (171776)

I do not wear mine because they are uncomfortable. I have had tts surgery and cannot stand a shoe with an enclosed heel.

Ed Davis. DPM on 3/27/05 at 03:30 (172008)

Take a look at the $49 all plastic open Birkenstock clog. The tricky thing is, without, a closed heel, keeping them from falling off...