Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Schiavo case, part of a larger issue

Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 3/21/05 at 13:49 (171705)

From the standpoint of medical economics we spend the vast majority of moneys in the final weeks of life; massive amounts if life support is sustained. Arguably, a lot more money is available for medical care if we shift funding from the terninally infirm to those who are curable. This is an extremely difficult issue that should be addresssed as national policy as opposed to a case by case basis whenever possible.
Ed

Re: Schiavo case, part of a larger issue

Elyse B on 3/21/05 at 14:16 (171709)

I completely disagree. I don't see how we need our government involved in personal family medical decisions. Our president wanted the Federal government out of State decisions and campaigned as such, stick to your promises then.

The Florida courts ruled 19 times. Let this poor woman go already.

Terry Schiavo told her husband that she did not want to live like a vegetable. Every case like this is going to be opened up because we don't want to believe one family's wishes.

Re: Schiavo case, part of a larger issue

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/22/05 at 12:41 (171768)

Elyse:
Presumably (again, anecdotal evidence) Terri made that statement to her husband in an informal conversation. I think that an informal comment does not carry sufficient weight in a life or death matter.

The problem, is that the government, invariably us, are the one's paying the bills for medical care so who decides if 80 cases of cleft palate repair is funded vs. keeping someone on a respirator?
Ed

Re: ps. move conversation

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/22/05 at 12:44 (171769)

Elyse:
ScottR decision is that the conversation is political so it must be suspended or continued elsewhere. My email is (email removed)
Ed

Re: conversation moving to another board per Scott.

marie on 3/22/05 at 14:11 (171778)

http://pub50.bravenet.com/forum/4282972434

Scott's decision.

bbv.cgi?n=171771

There is a discussion that has been started there already so please feel free to jump in.

best wishes marie

Re: added a hs link

marie on 3/24/05 at 16:34 (171903)

I added a link back here so folks can jump back here quickly. It's in the upper right hand corner.

marie