Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Another place you can get a living will

Posted by Kathy G on 3/22/05 at 08:40 (171750)

An article on the front page of our newspaper today said that you can go to our two area hospitals and someone from Patient and Family Services will explain how to make out a living will and heatlhcare proxy. They also have notaries who notarize it for free for you. Because of the increase in demand, they suggest you call and make an appointment.

We went to a lawyer to have ours done some time ago when we were attending to some other affairs. I wasn't aware that it could be done for free without qualifying for free legal aid, but obviously I was wrong.

So, if you've decided, in light of recent events, that you want a living will, I would suggest that you call your local hospitals and see if they can direct you. I guess you'd ask for social services.

Each state requires certain documents but they all amount to the same thing. You get to choose a person to make decisions for you, an alternate if that person isn't available and in some states, like ours, you can choose whether you would want hydration, pain meds, etc. to continue after you are taken off of life support. These documents simply empower you to control all aspects of your life, including how it ends. And it will save your loved ones a great deal of despair should it become necessary.

Re: Another place you can get a living will

marie on 3/22/05 at 14:12 (171779)

Thanks for the reminder Kathy.