Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cuboid Pain?

Posted by Chillie on 3/22/05 at 09:48 (171752)

Hi, I've been searching online to try and figure out what this pain is in my feet and from these comments I've been reading along with info from other websites, I believe I am having cuboid pain. I have never had any other foot problems, but I do have slight scoliosis. My foot pain has just been a gradual annoying pain that has been increasing over time. I always notice it after my foot has been immobile for a while, like after I've been sitting and I go to stand on my feet and walk - that's when they really hurt/ The pain subsides a little the more I walk. And it's always on the bottom/side of my foot right under that bone and sometimes the actual bone (5th bone?) Sometimes the pain radiates to the top/front of my foot, right below my ankle. I'm unemployed right now and don't have any medical insurance, so that's why I haven't been to the doctor about it yet. Any suggestions on how to alleviate the pain until I can get to the doctor to have it properly diagnosed? Oh, by the way, I have very flat feet, with hardly any arch and it seems to be getting worse. I've never seen a physician about that and have never worn any type or arch supports or have had any type of pt. I do not wear tight shoes or high heels. - Thanks.

Re: Cuboid Pain?

Terri on 3/22/05 at 11:03 (171760)

I'd get some supportive althetic shoes and wear them as much as possible. I'd avoid dress flats or any kind of dress shoes.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/22/05 at 16:26 (171784)

Chille:
The least expensive thing to do is try a motion control running shoe which miniimizes side to side motion like the New Balance 925 or 1122 or Brooks Ariel/Beast.
Ed

Chillie on 4/11/05 at 23:41 (173013)

Thank you Dr. What are possible causes of the pain? Is there a name for this, and if untreated or uncorrected, can it lead to something worse?

Laura N on 5/07/06 at 17:25 (198694)

I saw your comment on Cuboid pain. I find that I also have that pain, only it's the side of my foot as well as arch & heal. I thought maybe my shoes(which have no real support) may be to blame & I plan on getting better ones. But, I have been wearing this type of shoes for years and the pain just started this week. I am new to the gym and lifting weights & exercising on stairsteppers & treadmills. Could that possible be the reason this pain has started? Thanks Laura