Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Insurance type question

Posted by Richard, C.Ped on 3/28/05 at 08:38 (172048)

Does anyone know about any of those discount type companies that offer coverage? I have contacted a few companies that have a discount card where you can get up to 75% off on physician visits, dental, and hospital. It is not insurance only discounts.

I have been looking at insurance for me and my family and the only one that comes close to being affordable is $300 per month with a $5100 deductible. This discount plan is only $99 per month.

Re: Insurance type question

John H on 3/28/05 at 10:19 (172051)

Richard: I tried one of the discount dentist one time. After going to him I know why he was a discount dentist. I am back to my regular high priced dentist. Not sure I would be interested in a discount surgeon.

Richard, C.Ped on 3/28/05 at 10:40 (172054)

The one that I like is a PPO for BCBS. If a provider accepts BCBS, then they accept this plan. Only thing is, you have to pay up front instead of letting inurance pay, then owing the provider later.

CarolineH on 3/28/05 at 15:05 (172067)

Have your business join the local Chamber of Commerce. When my husband had a consulting company with him as the only employee, we were unable to get health insurance for us because of a preexisting medical condition of mine (low platelet count). Companies were willing to insure my husband and sons but wouldn't insure me. Therefore he had his business join the local Chamber of Commerce and we were able to get it at a group rate. It wasn't terribly affordable but we got excellent coverage until he closed the business due to 9/11. We kept the business going in name only so we would have health insurace. We kept this insurance until he became employed again 15 months later when we could get much cheaper benefits through his employer. Ironically, now that my husband is back at work, and this is his second job since he went back to work, he works as a computer person at a major health insurance company in Hartford, CT.

marie on 3/28/05 at 19:16 (172084)

What can you afford to pay? With your little ones you'll need to have some decent insurance coverage.

Look at Sagamore. They had good plans available not to long ago for self employed. I think the deductable was around 2100.00 but I can't remember what the monthly premium was.

Re: Here's a link to their site

marie on 3/28/05 at 19:17 (172085)

http://www.premiumhealthinsurancequotes.com/health_insurance_companies/sagamore_health_insurance.html

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/02/05 at 14:29 (172434)

Richard:
Contact me at (email removed) as I may have a solution for you.
The solution, as it is no secret is to become part of a PEO. It is a long story but these entities started out as 'employee leasing' firms. They eventually expanded to offering more services such as employee benefits, retirement plans, etc. They could do so becasue they had huge number of people on their payroll. So, for example, if I go to Blue Cross of Washington State and get a quote, it will be susbtantially higher than the rate I get from my PEO, Human Resources Novations. Human Resources Novations can go to Blue Cross and state, 'we employ 10,000 people in WA' (using this an example, I have no idea how many 'employees' they have), now give us the best rate for our 'group' of 10,000 or we will shop elesewhere. They will get a VERY good price with a chunk fo business that big. PEO's are a new concept to a lot of people. Also feel free to call me on my cell phone at 253-255-6767 so I can give you more details as to how PEO's work.
Ed