Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nothing Seems to Help my Pain

Posted by Robin F on 3/28/05 at 16:05 (172070)

I've had PF for over 2 decades, but didn't seek treatment until 1998. Dr. #1 prescribed orthotics which didn't help. After many adjustments, I sought a 2nd opinion and began seeing dr. #2. He taped, had made different orthotics, recommended PT, injections, etc. Finally, he performed a fasciitomy on both feet in 11/01. I never felt any better and continued on seeking treatment with him until about 2003. Then recieved recommendation for 3rd dr. He helped me some with cuboid pain by doing injections under ultra sound. He still couldn't solve my heel pain and said my fasciitis was back full blown. In 6/04 I had shock wave therapy. That didn't help at all. My pain seems to be worse than ever. I've slept with night splints for years, which helps some, but still have terrible heel pain. I'm overweight (5'3' - 195lbs), but didn't start out that way. Over the past 10 years, I've become less and less active as the foot pain doesn't allow me to do any form of excercise on my feet. I try to walk or go on the treadmill and I'm very limited due to foot pain. Do you think there is any hope for me or am I doomed to be in pain forever?

Re: Nothing Seems to Help my Pain

patches on 3/28/05 at 20:29 (172090)

Hi Robin,

I'm not a doctor but I'm writing to empathize with your pain. It sounds like you gone through alot of grief and trials trying to get over pf. I too have been 'benched' by pf - I used to run 3 miles a day, loved it, got pregnant, couldn't run and now am 20 lbs over my pre-preg weight. Vicious cycle. I swam a little during the pregnancy so that is at least a non-weight bearing option - is that an option for you to try? I posted a message regarding the use of infrared heating pads to see what people thought of it. I actually ordered one last night - out of desperation - it was 224 bucks!! But, like I said, I'm desperate and figured I'd gamble (even though I'm not terribly wealthy...) How old are you if you don't mind me asking...? I'm 38 (5ft - 138 lbs). I know how discouraging this can be. Maybe if this product is recommended by one of the message board docs you could try it out... Are you stretching just against the wall? That seems to help me. And icing is free!!! The nice thing about the infrared is that it's a low temp but supposedly penetrates deep. I'd be careful with too many injections because I think it can have some nasty side effects.

Robin F on 3/29/05 at 13:59 (172112)

I'm 45 years old. I do stretch and ice. Thanks for your response. I'd be willing to try almost anything if it would just ease the pain.

Linda M on 3/29/05 at 15:21 (172118)

I have seen a doctor in reference to my heel spur and had to wear a boot,but the pain is still unbearable and I can hardle put any weight on my foot with the heel spur.

john king on 3/31/05 at 15:52 (172307)

My feet have been in miserable pain for at least 8 years and on again off again pain for years before that. I do know that any added weight makes it worse by far. It is a vicious cycle. The more pain the less mobile you become. I get so bad that I just can't walk at all and just drag myself along. I am going back to my podiatrist and see what he can do but I am not optimistic. Vicodin works for the pain to some extent but the pain returns in spades when the narcotic wears off.

ginamarie on 4/15/05 at 22:19 (173283)

Does anyone know if bike riding is helpful or harm ful to treating PF Iam am desperate to get out and exercise ...