Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Infrared heating pad

Posted by patches on 3/28/05 at 20:13 (172087)

Hi,

Was reading probably too much online - stumbled across a product that claimed to heal heel pain with infrared heat - lower temp than regular heating pads but penetrates deeper. Sounds intriguing as I am desperate to run again!!! Any opinions on this product. The brand is thermotex and it is rather spendy...

Thanks for any insights.

Re: Infrared heating pad

SteveG on 3/28/05 at 20:24 (172089)

This has come up at various times, and I don't recall anyone saying that got much in the way of relief from it. I would save my money.

patches on 3/28/05 at 20:33 (172091)

Bummer cuz I already purchased it last night in a moment of desperation. I long to run again. Trying to dump some baby weight. Any thoughts to some of theories of reflexology? Apparently that region of the foot is connected to your intestines and bladder... Has that subject come up before - I am obviously new to this message board so I appreciate your reply and patience.

SteveG on 3/28/05 at 22:07 (172095)

Pathes - what have you done so far? Have you seen a podiatrist? Which one the standard treatments are you using - orthodics, nightsplint, stretching. Have you read the heel pain book on this site? It will give you an excellent overview of the problem and discuss the various treatment options.

Julie on 3/29/05 at 00:29 (172096)

You can spend thousands of dollars on devices but a hit=or-miss strategy is unlikely to solve your problem. Please see a podiatrist for a full examination, evaluation of your biomechanics, and a diagnosis so that a treatment plan can be put in place that addresses the cause of your pain.

General advice:

Always wear good, supportive shoes with plenty of cushioning.
Make sure you know your correct shoe size! Get measured. Half the population are walking around in shoes that are too small for them.
Don't go barefoot - it puts additional strain on the fascia at its insertion point.
Icing may or may not help. Listen to the messages your body gives you after icing.
Weightbearing exercise can strain the fascia at its insertion point and exacerbate the PF. Nonweightbearing exercise is best. Look at the foot yoga exercises and the plantar fascia stretch.

Good luck.

Dr Ben Pearl on 3/29/05 at 21:10 (172141)

can be helpful