Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Some tips after 4 years of slow improvement.

Posted by Sandy H. on 3/29/05 at 02:13 (172098)

I haven't updated in about 2 years. I got PF and posterior tibial tendonitis about 4 years ago and had to stop running and was in pain whenever I walked. I got a lot of help from the experiences of people on this site. Here's is what I think I learned, personally:
1) Don't persist with orthotics if they are causing you pain. Go and demand that your doctor/physio have them modified until they are comfortable for you. Sometimes less aggressive is better at first. As a pronator I always wear shoes with roll bars or dual density with harder material on the inside of the heel. New Balance 854s and Asics 2060 right now. 2) Concentrate on improving your posture with daily pilates, yoga and other physio. Do stretching exercises after a desk-bound day and not high-impact exercise (save that for weekends when you are relaxed and after you have stretched.) Don't run for buses or trains after a long day of work. Maybe don't even do strenuous walks after a long day of sitting at work.
3) On the weekend, when you are ready (it took me 2 years of backwards and forwards to get to this stage), gradually do some exercise that gets your body moving. First I did Kayaking, which didn't use my feet at all but got the blood flowing. I started mountainbiking a year ago but I learned that there is no harm in walking up hills when things get too steep. This year I went back to running but I only run on dirt-tracks and when I get to concrete I stop and walk. I can run for 1 hour on dirt tracks and about 5 minutes on concrete for the same amount of pain.
4) Overdoing on exercise in section 3 is not as bad for me as if I overdo it on work. My worst pain comes if I sit for 13 hours working, attend a 3 hour sit-down meal, drink a lot, don't get enough sleep and then do it all again. I think the exercise I'm doing in section three is helping me get better (most of the time - and the pain I feel goes after a day or two) but the exercises in section 2 are definitely making me better. A good physio who stresses core stability will help you learn those.
Hope this helps.

3)

Re: Some tips after 4 years of slow improvement.

Julie on 3/29/05 at 04:11 (172099)

Hi Sandy, welcome back and thanks for your post, full of good news and good ideas. I'm so glad you are improving so much.

I'd add to what you've said only this: do stretching exercises as often as possible DURING a work bound day, not just after it, to keep muscle tension at bay.

And I agree with you about core stability. Very important.

sandy h. on 3/29/05 at 16:00 (172121)

I still haven't bought a copy of office yoga, which sounds such a fun book (if you are yoga Julie). Maybe for my birthday :)

Julie on 3/30/05 at 00:57 (172148)

It's out of print now, Ralph, but there are still used copies on Amazon.com (from $1.72, so it could be a Christmas stocking-filler). There are a few books with the same title (all clones, mine was first ;) so you need to key in my name, Julie Friedeberger. Or here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0722525370/qid=1112165679/sr=8-8/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl14/102-2708782-1526508?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Happy Birthday!

Re: office yoga

elliott on 3/30/05 at 14:29 (172190)

Julie,

I think you meant Sandy, not Ralph. Speaking of office yoga, I got an email today from Yoga Journal on this very topic:

http://www.yogajournal.com/newsletter/myj_145.html

If you'd like to tell us why your book is superior to what they have to say, here's your chance. :-)

{}

Julie on 3/31/05 at 00:59 (172243)

Yes, I did mean Sandy, not Ralph. Thanks for calling attention to my mistake - a senior moment, I expect. And thanks for the link. This is a nice sequence: http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/949_1.cfm?ctsrc=nlv145

John H on 3/31/05 at 10:56 (172280)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Elliott.