Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel-That_Pain inserts

Posted by Lee V on 3/29/05 at 18:36 (172128)

Has anyone tried the 'Heel-That-Pain' heel cup/inserts sold on the Internet? I bought some recently but the plantar fascia stretching bar is very aggressive and I'm concerned I'll do more harm than good wearing them.
Thanks.

Re: Heel-That_Pain inserts

Richard, C.Ped on 3/30/05 at 07:58 (172161)

I am not sure about those, but from my experience, the best way to reduce the pain of plantar fasciitis is to limit the fascia from stretching while walking or standing.

Here is my favorite example. If you had a cut on your finger and you rubbed it all day with your other hand, it will not heal. If you stop rubbing it, it will heal. Same with the plantar fascia. If you provide proper support to keep it from stretching, it should heal.

CherylS on 3/30/05 at 09:10 (172162)

I tried them and wore them for about a week straight. Did not provide any relief at all, in fact, hurt. Also, unlike the company's promises, I was not able to wear them in dress shoes as the inserts put me too high in the shoes to fit.

Re: To Richard

Julie on 3/30/05 at 10:31 (172166)

Richard, that's the clearest explanation of why orthotics help that I've seen. Orthotics were the mainstay of my recovery from PF and I'm sure they have been a vital part of my problem-free foot-life since (especially since the weeks I spent without them while a new pair were being made).

I get disheartened by the many posts from people who have not had a good experience with orthotics, some of whom feel that their orthotics have made them worse. I suspect they have simply been unlucky with their providers, and that the devices were improperly casted, or badly made, or incorrectly prescribed. There seem to be so many factors that affect outcome.

I wish everyone could come to you! Several years ago you posted a very helpful list of questions to ask and things to look for when consulting a podiatrist or pedorthist about orthotics. Maybe it would be a good idea for you to do something similar again, and for Scott to make it available with a permanent link.

Richard, C.Ped on 3/30/05 at 10:48 (172168)

Thanks Julie! That means alot coming from you. You get disheartened, I get frustrated and confused as to why people are having so many problems. I just do not understand it. The only thing I can think of is that there are way to many people out there who make 'orthotics' that have no idea what they are doing.

I will try to either find that post about the questions, or I will just try to think what I wrote and post it again here and on my web site.

Linda V on 3/30/05 at 11:03 (172170)

Richard,
Remember with all the posts about orthotics not helping....and I agree with you and Julie that a lot of those people just weren't fitted right, or were not compliant with other methods of care to their feet (rest, gentle stretches, etc.)...that there are probably thousands and thousands of folks a year who WERE helped with orthotics, and thus never had to find this website. Right?

Richard, C.Ped on 3/30/05 at 12:13 (172175)

oh of course. I get frustrated when I hear that someone has done an awful job and made the condition worse.

Diana I on 3/30/05 at 13:26 (172184)

The list of helpful questions would be great to have. I would also like to be able to find your website. I think it was there that a link was provided that gave the pedorthists addresses in the area where I live. Of course, the best idea would be for you to come to Oregon - or Idaho, since I live close to that state. Then I know my orthotics would be okay. :)

Julie on 3/30/05 at 13:56 (172186)

That would be wonderful, Richard. If you find it, one of us can flag it to Scott and ask him for a permanent link, as he has given the foot yoga exercises and the plantar fascia stretch. Or you could ask him to incorporate it into the heel pain book. I really think it would help people.

Of course people would still have to find a good provider, and they do seem to be thin on the ground. But if they knew what they were looking for, they'd have a better chance of finding it.

Julie on 3/30/05 at 13:58 (172187)

Right, Linda! That's encouraging. Thank you.

Lee V on 3/30/05 at 21:21 (172229)

I must agree that orthotics are generally the answer but only if you're lucky. I suffered miserably with PF for 6 years, trying 3-4 different orthotics with no help, until Dr. Alice George in Melbourne, Australia cast a pair that healed me almost immediately. After 9 years and a move back to the US, they stopped working and my PF returned. I've been miserable now for 3 years and unable to find orthotics that help, whether professionally cast or ordered off the Net. Making them is obviously more of an art than science and most people just don't have the touch.

Back to the HTP inserts, I tried them for a week a few months ago and gave up as they hurt and didn't help. A week ago I was in constant pain whether resting or standing. With nothing to lose, I put them in and went on a 30 minute walk. The results were miraculous. I don't know if it was the fascia bar massaging the arch or something else, but although they hurt, I felt much better afterwards. I've been walking in them twice more (every other day)and have steadily improved. I don't know if it will last but it's been the first ray of hope in a long while. Thanks for the replies.

Re: To Julie:

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/30/05 at 21:22 (172230)

My libertarian politcal bent places me at odds with myself on this one BUT, I really feel that suppliers of orthtotics whether they be podiatrists or pedorthists be licensed individuals. I don't think that every 'Tom, Dick and Harry' should be out there selling psuedo-prescription devices on the internet, at health fairs, shops and so forth.
This has caused considerable confusion among the public as to what constitutes a properly prescribed presciption device for foot problems. So many are discouraged and spend thousands on bogus devices. It is even more frutstrating when those who are properly licensed try to emulate the charlatans, trying to beat them at their own game since they abuse the credibility of their licenses to provide substandard devices to patients...
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 3/31/05 at 08:15 (172249)

Diana,
You can get the link to the web site by clicking on my name at the top of the inserts message board. I don't know why, but for some reason a photo parade player pops up when I go there. Maybe it is just my computer. If it does, don't worry, just click exit or done.

Oregon might be a little far..haha. Now if you were in or around South Carolina, no problem. haha

Richard, C.Ped on 3/31/05 at 08:16 (172250)

Exactly Julie. I know plenty of 'c.peds' (notice the quotations...) that do a crappy job. (shaking my head right now).

Julie on 3/31/05 at 08:20 (172253)

Richard, that was Ed who said that. But I agree with both of you.

Richard, C.Ped on 3/31/05 at 08:29 (172254)

Ed, my friend, I am with you 100%. I am a strong advocate for anyone who dispenses an orthosis device be licenced. I bring this up whenever possible, but I only get discouraging glances. The thing is, most of the older C.Peds started out as shoe repairmen. The like doing pedorthics, but are not intrested in furthering their education. The problem with the pedorthic schools are that they are way to short and you get different opinions as to who teaches each class.

That would also be a problem. I don't know how the fabrication methods could be regulated. There are states that offer a licence, but it is really no extra schooling and I think it costs somewhere between $400 - $800 to have the opportunity to add the letter 'L' behind your name. I, for one, do not want to spend that kind of money for that.

I would love to teach future C.Peds. I love giving lectures and inservices to the public as well as medical professionals.

The good thing is, the Pedorthic Footwear Association is in the works of making the C.ped school a two year program. I am afraid that if I taught pedothics, many would not pass. I think I would be to hard...haha.

Just like high school, you would hear, 'oh no, you have Mr. Graham!!! He is mean' HAHAHA

Diana I on 3/31/05 at 12:32 (172295)

Okay, thanks! I knew there was someway to get to your web site, but brain just didn't kick in. Nothing unusual.
Don't think I will be going to S. Carolina anytime soon. Have a grandson in Illinois. May go there sometime. Is that still too far? :)
Thanks again for your response.
Diana

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/02/05 at 14:45 (172438)

Richard:
We also need more courses for people sho have been out in the 'field' for a number of years. Continuing adult education has made a fortune for University of Phoenix.
Ed