Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cold new shoes be part of my problem?

Posted by Debbie on 3/30/05 at 19:51 (172221)

I bought a new pair of New Balance tennis shoes. I usually love them but with my PF is it possible to make it worse with the strong support I am getting?

Re: Cold new shoes be part of my problem?

Richard, C.Ped on 3/31/05 at 08:19 (172252)

Hi Debbie,
Shoes can aggrivate the plantar fascia. The shoe should not bend in the middle.

I have a picture on my web site as to what to look for and what not to look for with shoes.
http://www.geocities.com/palmetto_pedorthic_care/our_services.html

Also, New Balance are recommended...but do stay away from the lower number shoes. The 800 and up are usually better for the feet, and they will not bend as easily in the middle.

John H on 3/31/05 at 10:54 (172277)

I think all those higher number New Balance have a built in roll bar do they not Richard? I have been wearing the NB for 10 or more years. Read one time that the air filled shoes could lead to achilles tendon problems due to the constant give and take of the air. Do not know how valid that was.

Richard, C.Ped on 3/31/05 at 10:58 (172281)

I try to tell people to stay away from the air and gel stuff. It just spreads out as you add weight to it.

John H on 3/31/05 at 12:55 (172301)

Richard why do you think so many people find comfort with the Airizona birkenstock sandal. It has a good footbed but your foot is free to move all over the place and you wonder just how much of the time your foot is actually in the proper position to utilized the footbed as designed. Seems to me your foot would be better by being held in place????? The Airizona remains the most comfortable shoe just to stroll around in. Not for fast walking or any aerobic activity.

Richard, C.Ped on 4/01/05 at 13:53 (172377)

I really have no idea. I am not Birk smart so to speak. I read that people here like the Birks, even my sister wears them, but I really do not know much about them.

Julie on 4/01/05 at 14:35 (172379)

John

I know your question was addressed to Richard, but here is what I think. If you wear Birk sandals as they are intended to be worn, actively using the toe bar to grip as you walk, not only are you giving your feet good exercise with every step, your feet don't move all over the place. And - provided the bumps in the Birks match the bumps in your feet, you get the support that you need. If you 'just walk', without using the toe bar, then I agree you get that mushy all-over-the-place feeling.

To grip the toe bar, the front strap has to be loose enough to allow your metatarsal to lift: in other words loose enough to get your fingers between your foot and the strap,

john h on 4/01/05 at 15:17 (172385)

Makes sense to me Julie. I know I grip that bar with my toes. You can see it on the imprint left on the inside footbed.