Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question about Neurontin

Posted by Robert B. on 3/31/05 at 10:31 (172271)

I was prescibed Neurontin by my doctor, along with a splint (not night splint, it is a custom formed splint) as a last ditch effort for TTS prior to surgery.

Has anyone had success using Neurontin. His presciption is for 1 daily for a week at night, then 2 daily at night for one week, then 3 daily (1 in AM, 2 in PM) for a week. If this doesn't work it is surgery.

I had steriod shots, PT, night splint, ultrasound. Just wondering if anyone had success with this drug.

Re: Question about Neurontin

Robert B. on 3/31/05 at 10:47 (172274)

Sorry, that would be 300mg per capsule, eventually 900mg daily.

Geri on 3/31/05 at 16:10 (172311)

Robert: I take 300mg AM-300mg noon and 600mg at night, a total of 1200 a day. This is an average dose. Many take 1800 and more. I have taken it for a year now and I am 18 mos. post op tts surgery. I did not take it prior to surgery as it was not offered to me. I cannot skip a pill now without severe pain. They say it is not addictive, but I would say you can get dependent on it.( what's the difference I ask you)!! It does make me accident prone, for instance I drop things often, bump into things, could fall if I did not watch where I was going, I also think it interferes with concentration. Would I start taking it again YES. It relieves my pain. I still have to take pain meds if I overdo. Good luck. There are some on this board who have not had surgery and recovered enough to reclaim a good measure of their life. The main thing they did was total rest of their foot. No walking. A scooter-crutches-or a wheelchair for a period of time. Good luck with your choice.
I know it difficult to decide what to do.

messed up foot on 3/31/05 at 16:15 (172313)

I take 600 mg every night and the biggest complaints that I had with Neurontin is that if I took it during the day, it made me hungry (and weight gain is a no-no with PF!) and forgetful. I don't notice being hungry or forgetful at night but it does let me sleep without the shooting pains.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/02/05 at 14:51 (172439)

Robert:
Neurontin will only provide symptomatic relief. Keep in mind that if the goal is to get rid of scar tissue around the nerve, surgery often begets mopre scar tissue. I generally will start by injecting the area around tghe nerve with medication designed to dissolve scar tissue (Hyaluronidase- the enzme used by our body to keep scar tissue in check; very safe and a very small amount of triamcinolone acetonide ( a long acting stroid that atrophies scar tissue; used cautiously becasue it does not discriminate between good and bad tissue).
Ed Davis, DPM

Re: Dr. Ed

Darlene on 4/02/05 at 15:37 (172441)

If you inject both the enzyme and cortisone, how do you know which one is working? Or do you try the enzyme first and if it doesn't work, then move onto the cortisone?

Thx.

Re: Dr. Ed

Ed Davis. DPM on 4/03/05 at 10:57 (172485)

Darlene:
The act of performing the injection itself is a traumatic event that is not necessarily a good thing for the area. As such, there is an advantage in limiting the number of injections (not to mention limiting the patient's pain). Knowing which one is working, between the two substances would be more of academic interest than anything else. Our goal is to have them work synergistically and additively, each contributing to the cure and achiveing the cure as soon as possible. I feel that those reasons outweigh any advantage to separation of the two. Besides that, the amount of triamcinolone used is very small because of it lack of selectivity. The nerve is 'nestled' in a bed of fatty tissue for cushioning and the triamcinolone may atrophy or cuase some damage to that fatty cushioning. We have to weigh the beneficial scar tissue relieving effect of the triamcinalone vs. its negative effect so that will always make the amount of triamcinolone used in the mix, very small.
Ed

skully on 4/03/05 at 13:25 (172496)

It really helps me. I missed a dose accidentally the other night and man I could not walk at all. With the neurotin, I have better mornings where I can walk some. Without it, I can't walk all day.

JorgeB. on 4/03/05 at 18:53 (172515)

Hi Geri!I like to ask you if the surgery help you or worsen?I am taking
neurontin and i feel that interferes with my concentration as well.
Can you tell me how long it takes to be effective?
my mail is:
(email removed)
tks

Robert B. on 4/04/05 at 16:30 (172568)

I stopped taking the Neurotin after the second dose, I am a pilot, although I wasn't flying at the time I took it, I felt I wouldn't be able to operate the aircraft (or car, horse, boat, etc.) and really didn't like the mental feeling I had at the time.

So, I have an appointment for the next step...........

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/13/05 at 11:36 (173124)

skully:
Glad to hear about your success with Neurontin. I would have to place you in the top 5% for satisfaction with the drug. This just shows everyone how unique individuals are and the uniqueness of their response to treatment. This is why medicine will always be an 'art' and a science -- at least for the next century until we really understand the interplay between all the systems of the body and know enough to explain thhe variability we see.
Ed