Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Weight Loss without Walking or Running

Posted by FB on 4/01/05 at 10:30 (172363)

The underlying cause of many cases of heel pain is excess weight. What is a good exercise to lose weight without stressing the plantar fasciitis?

Re: Weight Loss without Walking or Running

Julie on 4/01/05 at 14:28 (172378)

I can't resist. :)

Put fork to mouth. But only half as many times as you would normally do, and make sure everything at the end of the fork is genuinely health-giving.

Seriously - the only way to lose weight is to follow a healthy, balanced diet. I am not going to get into discussion of 'which diet' is the best - I think all special, and all 'crash' diets, are pointless. My own feeling is that you can't go wrong by following the basic guidelines of less saturated fat (but not 'no' fat), no sugar, a sensible amount of carbohydrate and plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. Eat small meals frequently, and if you really want to be serious about it, eat your main meal at breakfast, less at lunch, and your lightest meal at suppertime. Eat early, several hours before going to bed, to give your body time to digest what you've eaten.

All this is important for everyone, but particularly when you have to limit physical activity for any reason. But to answer your question about good exercise: swimming. It's the best all-round exercise for cardiovascular fitness and also a fine overall stretch for every muscle in the body. So if you can swim, go for it.

JADO on 4/01/05 at 15:56 (172387)

Staying healthy is very important. I am a certified Aerobics Instructor, and I am always telling my clients that Kickboxing will burn calories but it is not effective if you continue to eat Cheeseburgers and Fries. To maintain a constant weight you need to consume the same number of calories as your body uses. The number of calories your body uses will vary depending on your lifestyle and activity. One pound of fat equal 3500 calories. Therefore, in order to loose 1 pound in a week you need to decrease your calorie total by 500 calories a day. You can do this one of two ways - increase your activity level so you burn more calories or decrease the number of calories you eat. I like the combination approach, increase activity and also eat less - so you eat 250 calories less and you burn 250 calories more.

If you have PF, it can be hard to work out vigorously without pain.
There are workouts that can be beneficial. Swimming is great, stationary bikes set to a low resistance level, pilates, and weight lifting.

If you decide to do pilates, be sure to tell the instructor about your feet. Most of the work is mat work and you will not stress the feet at all. You will strengthen the core muscles and stretch the overall body.

When it comes to weight lifting, do a lot arms and abs. Don't do any leg work that entails putting pressure on the bottom of the feet. I could try to explain some of the leg resistance training I do with ankle weights that does not put pressure on the feet, if you like. Right now, I need to get back to work.

JADO

ray on 4/01/05 at 21:04 (172395)

the best exercize is riding a bike its less stress on foot and it will burn fat now to lose weight you have to burn more calores than you take in now thats the bottom line now be careful who you lision to it might be some woman with a big mac hanging out of her mouth

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/01/05 at 22:01 (172403)

The generally accepted concept is that sustained aerobic exercise is best as an exercise for wieght loss. That can include swimming.

Consider that ANY of the machines at most health clubs can be used in an aerobic manner. Lower the weight and up the reps and speed, then go throug the 'circuit' a second time with higher weights and lower reps. The health clubs encoruage use of treatmills and stair steppers so that there is a place to 'park' all the users such that all the users are not trying to get on the machines at the same time.
Ed

Re: april

julie on 4/02/05 at 09:52 (172423)

april its me julie now honey you know your fat 300 pound pimple ass could lose some weight stop piging out now on your pussy smell im sorry but i cant lick it no more till you really wash it i mean a good scrub down

Re: Re julie

april on 4/02/05 at 09:57 (172424)

im not300 pounds im 299 and i washed my pussy 3 weeks ago so i dont see how it smells and my dog likes it so thier he will lick it

Buck T. on 4/04/05 at 11:17 (172552)

Hi FB: Am recovering from severe PF. Couldn't exercise by walking, so took up swimming at community health center. Center has weight machines, so I used them -- except for machines that put weight on bottom of feet, as JADO also said was bad. Did the diet thing, protein some with more of what Julie suggested. I reduced waiste, built up chest and arms, and ironically, look better than I have in 20 years. I lost 25 pounds.

Sincerely, Buck T/