Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

new security is in place - FINALLY

Posted by Scott R on 4/02/05 at 11:47 (172425)

I have finally made it where bad posters can't post anymore. It's a much more reliable system. Ray is blocked. Some messages from posters not using cookies and all new posters will be delayed while they are waiting approval. Ray has been allowed for a long time because he was using AOL. This is the little secret i can now divulge in public as to why some posters were being allowed to stay. AOL, ironically, offers more privacy and protection against blocking when it comes to message boards.

Re: new security is in place - FINALLY

Julie on 4/02/05 at 12:10 (172426)

Scott, that's wonderful. Thank you!

Delrea K on 4/02/05 at 12:13 (172427)

checking to see if im still here
Delrea K

april l on 4/02/05 at 13:16 (172429)

Thanks for the explanation. I wondered why Ray was continually allowed to post.

Suzanne D. on 4/02/05 at 13:36 (172431)

Yes, thank you, Scott. I am among many who appreciate the time and efforts you put forth to update and keep this website going.

Suzanne :)

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/02/05 at 14:16 (172433)

Just for curiosity, who was Ray? I don't remember anyone using that name unless that was an alias.
Ed

Linda V on 4/02/05 at 14:43 (172437)

I also can't remember Ray..and am also posting to see if I can still get through here. Thanks again Scott for all the hard work you do.

Delrea K on 4/02/05 at 15:45 (172443)

Since im new here I dont know Ray. But I did look back to see if there were post and I didnt see any.
So would that be curious or nosey
Delrea K

Scott R on 4/02/05 at 17:17 (172451)

I have been working over the weekend to delete his posts. He was being the least nice of anyone we've ever seen, using phrases like nigger, stinky pussy, and fat bitch to try to hurt people and put them down. He also went by 'Raymond'. I think he's about 12 years old.

Suzanne D. on 4/02/05 at 17:33 (172452)

Linda, the last ugly posts of his that I saw last night were on the 'Ask the Doctors' board, not on the Social Board here. But they are gone now, and for that I am grateful.

Take care,
Suzanne :)

marie on 4/02/05 at 20:10 (172461)

Hurray no more Ray! Thanks Scott!

best wishes marie

Re: To Scott new security is in place - FINALLY

Ralph on 4/02/05 at 20:21 (172463)

The same 'nasty' words that are repeated in your post still make me feel uncomfortable and embarrassed for those that come here. Scott would you please give some thought to eliminating them from your post too.

I don't think they have any place on your nice board.

Re: To Scott new security is in place - FINALLY

JudyS on 4/02/05 at 22:12 (172469)

Ralph, with all due respect to ScottR and the work he does to provide this website, I can't help but agree with you. I don't think it was necessary to repeat those words.

Re: cussing

Scott R on 4/02/05 at 23:46 (172471)

My 'be nice' rule refers to not being mean to other people. I try not to restrict the freedom of speech except for politics and religion. Of course i don't usually use those words, but two people asked what he did to get banned, which requires a justification from me. Blocking is an extreme act that i don't take lightly. I decided the best way to explain this blocking was to be explicit. It shows the blocking was the right thing to do and that normal people (and even slightly abnormal people) do not need to fear being blocked. I wanted to be clear that cussing is OK, but using it towards others is not. Posting those words i know can be offensive (i.e. 'not nice') to some, but i decided being clear in the explanation was more important. We all have our own idea of what 'be nice' means and it's approximately the same. In the message board, I have to decide the grey areas, and i would like to think i fall on the side of freedom of speech rather than being nice. 'Be nice' does not mean it should be an overtly 'nice' message board or free of cuss words. Even an occasional soft insult is OK with me. It means that we should not be mean to each other in such a way that it hurts the board. The touchy-feely aspects of the message board are the creation of its visitors. As the owner, I don't encourage it, but i try to keep it a moderately safe place for that to occur. Maybe i should change it to 'Don't be mean.'

Re: To ScottR

Julie on 4/03/05 at 01:35 (172476)

Scott, you were absolutely right to be explicit. I'm entitled to say so, since I was the target of most of Ray's disgusting posts. It was a very unpleasant experience, as I'm sure April, his other target, will agree, despite knowing that he was obviously deranged.

I refrained from responding to the people who hadn't been aware of what he was doing because I expected that you would answer them, and I'm glad that you answered as you did. It was important for people to know why he was blocked.

Ray actually did come here with foot problems, and although his posts were always incoherent he did ask many questions about orthotics, and about surgery (which he claimed to have had) before he began to be abusive. I assumed him to be a twisted adult who knew what he was doing. Do you have any reason to think he was twelve years old?

'Be Nice' is fine - keep it. It's impossible to misunderstand. 'Mean' is open to different interpretations. (In fact it has a totally different meaning in 'English English': it means stingy, tight-fisted with money. But whatever you say, people who come here with intent to hurt will take no notice of it, so I'm relieved that you now have a way of stopping them.

Thank you!

april l on 4/03/05 at 11:08 (172488)

I agree, but I still think we should be on the lookout for Ray using another computer and aliases, which he has done before. His posts are easy to spot, just look for words like 'scare tissue', 'stupit', 'lision'! I'm sure he's not 12 yrs old, but it sure appears that way sometimes.

Julie on 4/03/05 at 12:00 (172493)

I think that's right, April. I too noticed the similarity between Ray's posts and others we've had in the past.